Childrens Homes Steyning 1911 ish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childrens Homes Steyning 1911 ish

Can anyone suggest how I can find out some info about a childrens home in Steyning, Sussex that I think my father was in at the time of the 1911 census. I have downloaded the 1911 census and looked at either side's household but cannot find an address for t his place. Any suggestions?

Thank you

I wonder if the address is shown on the transcription rather than the image?
    Elaine

Comment

I have looked at both and neither show the address!

Comment

It looks as if there might have been a ChildrenĀ“s Home attached to the Steyning Workhouse

The National Archives | Access to Archives
        Elaine

Comment

St Wilfrid's Children's Home
          The old Shoreham workhouse site was retained by the union and adapted for use as a children's home known as St Wilfrid's. Initially 42 children were accommodated in each of what were referred to as the Old Infirmaries and 36 in the New Infirmary. These became known as Home 1 (for older boys), Home 2 (under-eights), and Home 3 (for older girls). The old workhouse buildings as the west of the site were subsequently demolished.

www.workhouses.org.uk - The Workhouse Web Site
          select English Poor Law Unions
          select Sussex / Steyning
          select after 1834
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. I have also found out that there was a childrens home in Trotting Track, Southwick Street, Southwick.

Comment

Working...
            X