Remember my "last ditch" thread??..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember my "last ditch" thread??..

Well according to the info found from my new half cousin my granny was born in 1890, the names given for my grt grandparents appear in the marriage index in the right area but way earlier than i thought they would.

Annie Turner b 1890, Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield

Parents; Thomas Turner and Maria Holt.

The Turner/Holt marriage appears in Sheffield reg district in 1868!! I would hazard a guess there are a few kids born between 1868 and 1890 :D
    Is there any sight of them in the census at all please?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

There's an Annie Turner b1890 in the 1891 census with parents Thomas and Maud in Eccleshall Bierlow, Sheffield. Could this be your family? There are 6 other children ranging in age from 19 to Annie 5 months.

Comment

Can't see any other Annie Turners born around the right time with parents Thomas and Maria

Comment

In 1901 Annie is still with father Thomas but he's widowed.

Comment

Do you have the addess from the BC of Annie?
          Elaine

Comment

The Thomas and Maud family that Margaret found in 1891 seems to be Thomas & Maria in 1881!

RG11; Piece: 4649; Folio: 53; Page: 29
            Thomas Turner 34
            Maria Turner 30
            Samuel Turner 9
            Mary Ann Turner 7
            Clara Turner 4
            John Wm. Turner 1
            - address 16 Brook Street, Sheffield

RG12; Piece: 3809; Folio 8; Page 10
            Thomas Turner 44
            Maud Turner 40
            Samuel Turner 19
            Mary A Turner 17
            Clara Turner 14
            John W Turner 11
            Walter Turner 8
            Thomas Turner 4
            Annie Turner 5/12
            - address 77 Asline ?? Road, Ecclesall Bierlow
            Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 26-01-09, 19:13.
            Elaine

Comment

I'm really not sure , there is a bit of a conflict of info from this new contact.

On his ancestry tree the dob for Annie is 15/10/1890, Ecclesall Bierlow, with parents Thomas and Maria

but on a quick debrief of the family the story starts

Annie Turner was born 1881 in Sheffield. Her parents moved there from Birmingham

The year of birth is obviously way different for starters. The Turner/Holt marriage in 1868 is in the Sheffield reg district but that seems at odds with the mention of Birmingham, unless the Birmingham link is pre marriage of course.

It just doesn't quite add up though.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Found the same Thomas Turner in 1881 with wife Maria! children the same eldest Samuel born c1872. Thomas born c1846 Birmingham and Maria born c1850 Walsall. Let me know if you want the images.

Comment

oops! cross posted with Elaine

Comment

Thomas Turner was born in Birmingham if that helps!
                    Elaine

Comment

The addy given on the tree is 85 Asline Road, as yet i haven't got the bc to confirm things but that seems to tally in. I did find two birth refs for the name in the right district in 1890 (Q3 and Q4) but it seems the earlier one also matches a death entry in Q3 1890 too.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

85 Asline Rd is the address on the 1891 and Annie is listed as 5 months.
                        Fiona. xx

Comment

1871 Thomas & Maria in lodgings in Sheffield, with 1 yr old daughter, Sarah Ann. (b Walshall)

Maria gives place of birth as WALSHALL , Lincs

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

1881 Maria gives Walsall Yorkshire as pob LOL! Make your mind up girl.
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by fiona c View Post
                              85 Asline Rd is the address on the 1891 and Annie is listed as 5 months.
                              Sorry Glen - not sure why I put 77 Asline Road - possibly because I scrolled to the page before as I couldn´t read the road name! :o
                              Elaine

Comment

Family still at 85 Asline Rd Ecclesall Bierlow in 1901
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

When i saw the date of marriage it just threw me completely, i have the odd "late" child but i just didn't expect it this time.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Now Glen, I have been married 30 years (1979) and I have a six year old (b2002), and I don't have a daughter old enough to be her mother. From what I have seen I my research, "late" unexpected children are not so uncommon - maybe nature's last hurrah ?
                                    Diane
                                    Sydney Australia
                                    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
                                      Now Glen, I have been married 30 years (1979) and I have a six year old (b2002), and I don't have a daughter old enough to be her mother. From what I have seen I my research, "late" unexpected children are not so uncommon - maybe nature's last hurrah ?
                                      I'm a late child, same with my mother, in fact on one direct line of 11 generations it works out that i'm the result of seven last (late) children. When i work out some of the relationships of names in my tree to me i have a couple of occasions where i'm a great uncle to someone forty years older than me

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Sheffield City Council

Births, incl (note that they can't all be b on 1 Jan - I think it's probably a date-formatting thing):
                                        Samuel 1/1/1872 70 56 Brightside Select
                                        Mary Ann 1/1/1873 102 17 Sheffield North
                                        Mary Ann 1/1/1874 104 66 Sheffield North
                                        Clara 1/1/1876 112 20 Sheffield North
                                        Clara 1/1/1877 27 99 Bradfield
                                        Clara 1/1/1877 96 21 Brightside

The records are incomplete - there don't seem to be any TURNERs b after 1877... I infer that 1877 is as far as they've got.

Christine
                                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                        X