Virtual Memory minimum too low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Memory minimum too low

I keep getting this message flash up on my pc and it is not runing as well as it should.. How do I cure this problem. I have seen a free programme called Regcure which says it can solve the problem. Is this a safe sysyem to use or is there anything else I can download?
    Thanks

Dave says buy some more memory and that should sort it out.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I would be very wary of downloading that program you mention unless it has been recommended to you by someone you trust - it sounds pretty dodgy to me.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Appropriate detail below taken from this link: - How to set performance options in Windows XP

How to manually change the size of the virtual memory paging file

You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the administrator’s group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from completing this procedure.

To manually change the size of virtual memory, follow these steps:
        1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
        2. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance click Settings.
        3. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Virtual memory click Change.
        4. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.
        5. Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, type a new paging file size in megabytes (MB) in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
        6. Click OK to close the dialog box and apply changes.

Note After you change the size of the paging file, you may be prompted to restart Windows. If you are prompted to restart, the changes will not take effect until Windows is restarted.

Notes
        • To have Windows select the best paging file size, click System managed size. The recommended minimum size is the same as 1.5 times the RAM on your computer, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size. For example, if you have 256 MB of RAM, the minimum size is 384 MB, and the maximum size is 1152 MB.
        • For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is the same as 1.5 times the RAM on your computer. It is good practice to leave the paging file at its recommended size as performance can decrease if a paging file is too large. However, you may increase its size if you frequently use programs that use lots of memory, such as graphics programs or games.
        • We strongly recommend that you do not disable or delete the paging file because this can lessen the computer's performance. However, if you decide to delete a paging file, set both the initial size and the maximum size to zero, or click No paging file.
        https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks Tim, I will have a go at changing the size of my paging file. Its set to 1 and a half of my 256 RAM at the moment.

Thanks Wendy and Dave, if the above doesnt work I may revert to buying some more memory.

Thanks for your input Kate, I didnt really want to use a download I knew nothing about and you confirmed I was right to be suspicious of it!

Comment

you only have 256 meg of ram...wow buy some more ram its real cheap right now. I am guessing your PC has DDR 333mhz or 266mhz I dont think its got DDR2 but if it has DDR2 then its even cheaper.

Also you may have onboard graphics which eats up your memory? say you have graphics set to 64meg or 128meg that comes off your total memory which means ( example ) if its set to 64meg your ram your left with is 192megs of ram which is bad. can you tell me what type of ram you have in your PC? and if its onboard graphics?

Comment

Working...
            X