Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Edwin Webb - Railway Guard

Hello everybody

This morning I have recieved a marriage cert for a rellie that was married in Jhansi India.
    Her name was Winifred Dolly Webb and it states that she was Anglo Indian (really intresting turnout)
    Her father is down as Charles Edwin Webb a Railway Guard.

I assume that Charles went out to India at some point and married an Indian woman.

Can anybody please help me locate any info on Charles, either going out there or perhaps his marriage?

He was witness to Winifreds marriage in 1931 and Winnie was born in 1906.
    I believe she was one of (if not) the eldest child.

Many thanks

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

I've tried FIBS, British Library India Office search, and FamilySearch, but I can't find them on any of those.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I cant think how i would go about locating the info.

Winifreds marrige was found on FMP but it was through the husbands name that the marriage was recognised.

Im only assuming that Charles Edwin Webb married an Indian woman as there daughter is listed as Anglo Indian on her marriage cert.

Danny

Comment

Have you already searched the "overseas" indexes on FMP for Winifred's birth?
        KiteRunner

Comment

At the back of my mind I have the idea that such a marriage would not be recognised if Charles Webb was part of the "establishment" i.e. he worked for the Civil Service and is unlikely to have taken place in a "C of E" church.

Have you looked on the IGI?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
            Have you already searched the "overseas" indexes on FMP for Winifred's birth?
            I have searched for Winifreds birth on there with no luck so far.
            Her marriage has her name as Winnie instead of Winifred and middle name as Dolly so i will have a search for that i reckon.

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              At the back of my mind I have the idea that such a marriage would not be recognised if Charles Webb was part of the "establishment" i.e. he worked for the Civil Service and is unlikely to have taken place in a "C of E" church.

Have you looked on the IGI?

OC
              I have had a look on the IGI but i can only see marriages for Charles Webb in mid 1800's which would be to early for him to have married.

Danny

Comment

If she was listed as Winnie on the overseas index I'm sure you would have spotted her while you were looking for Winifred.
                KiteRunner

Comment

True, I think i will have to start googling for India reseach websites and hope i stumble across something that will help my plight.

Thankyou for looking

Danny

Comment

Danny - I know nothing about India but I'm thinking back to the WDYTYA about Anglo Indians .....

.... could it be that the English/Indian marriage (or liason) was earlier than you think? In other words was Charles Edwin Webb himself also Anglo Indian?

On the WDYTYA program there was a whole community who all had 'Anglo' type names and had gone back several generations.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                      Danny - I know nothing about India but I'm thinking back to the WDYTYA about Anglo Indians .....

.... could it be that the English/Indian marriage (or liason) was earlier than you think? In other words was Charles Edwin Webb himself also Anglo Indian?

On the WDYTYA program there was a whole community who all had 'Anglo' type names and had gone back several generations.

Anne
                      Thats a very good point Anne.

I think id better ask the living daughter of Winifred Webb and see if she remembers anything that may help.

Danny

Comment

Do you have Charles Webb on any census?

OC

Comment

Im afraid not, i only know of his name and his occupation and thats only because its mentioned on his daughters marriage cert.

The only other fact i know for sure is that they lived in India from atleast the turn of the 20th century untill 1936.

In 1936 Winifred came over to England and settled in Chester eventually.

I did not see Charles on the ship and he was definatley alive still in 1931 as he was a witness at Winifreds marriage.

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                            They were Alistair McGowan's forebears, whose patriarch was an Irishman who joined the East India Company army.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Ah yes, UJ. I couldn't remember the name as I was writing! I seem to remember they went back for ages - all thse 'Indians' with the surname McGowan - of which they were very proud.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                              X