Peter Allen b: c1767 d: 1807 in Chichester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Allen b: c1767 d: 1807 in Chichester

I am stuck in finding out any information about the parents of the above man (my 4xgreat grandfather). He married Harriet Grover in 1790 in Lewes East Sussex and they had 8 children all born in Chichester. I have been able to follow my line through to the present day but I cannot make a connection back. I would be very grateful if anyone can help me.

I also have no trace of what happened to 5 of the 8 children - William (1792), Harriet (1794), Peter (1796), Henry (1802) and Frederick (1807). Any information about them would be very exciting!

family search just says born 1767 Chichester. meaning they are guessing.
    The one way is to order in at family history centre Chichester parish reg
    Lewes is situated in a gap in the South Downs, cut through by the River Ouse, and near its confluence with the Winterbourne Stream. It is approximately seven miles NNW of Newhaven, and an equal distance north-east of Brighton.
    Or you may have to search Lewes parish regs. Maybe these
    Society of Genealogists - England: Sussex Resources
    tugman

Comment

Dot, do you have the names of the witnesses from Peter and Harriet's wedding?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Dot Tidball View Post
        I also have no trace of what happened to 5 of the 8 children - William (1792), Harriet (1794), Peter (1796), Henry (1802) and Frederick (1807). Any information about them would be very exciting!
        If I were you I would start by looking for burials in the Lewes and Chichester parish registers in case they died young.
        Last edited by KiteRunner; 26-01-09, 13:10.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Dot they married in South Malling, 2 days after obtaining their license at Lewes.

Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index:
          Place: Archdeaconry of Lewes Marriage Licence, Date: 4 Oct 1790:
          Subject: Peter ALLEN, Chichester age 23 & up
          Spouse: Harriet GROVER, sp South Malling age 23 & up
          Extra Information: SRS 25 (S.M. b aff)

Extract from the Sussex Marriage Index:
          Place: South Malling, East Sussex, Date: 6 Oct 1790:
          Subject: Peter ALLEN, subdnry Chich (lic)
          Spouse: Harriet GROVER, otp

A small point but it just may help you!
          Bridget

Comment

There's a photo of the church here in our Places of Worship in the wiki

Sussex Towns and Parishes S - Family Tree Forum

Comment

Thank you so much for your suggestions - we plan to visit Chichester and Lewes in a few week's time. This is a wonderful site and a marvellous find so I will be starting a new thread for the same relation in my husband's family.

Comment

There is a burial at Chichester St Peter the Great for "Frederic Allen aged 6 years, from Southgate Yard", recorded in Sussex Burials on the FFHS site, FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia
                Sorry I don't have any more spare credit to check your other names. (I think these records are going onto the FindMyPast site as well.)
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Still looking for my Peter Allen! I have seen a Peter Allen born in Bradfield Berkshire in 1769 and wonder if anyone has any more information about him, viz marriage date, children born to him, death date. I am wondering if there is any chance he is the Peter I am looking for and that he moved to Sussex. My ancestor married Harriet Grover in 1790 in Lewes and had 8 children all born in Chichester, which is also where Peter died in 1807. Any help or information would be most gratefully received as it is beginning to look like I am trying to find a needle in a haystack!!

Comment

Working...
                  X