User Account Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User Account Control

My computer crashed in a spectacular manner the other day. Luckily all my files were backed up but not settings etc-they are now

I am being driven mad by the User Account Control which won't let me delete a single item without asking me if I am really sure. YES. I know I had to jump through hoops before if I was doing anything that involved a program but not just to delete an item from Favorites or a Word document.

Does anyone know please what I did to get rid of this before without totally disabling the UAC :(
    Jennie
    Research: A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots .

There is a section on this page which gives instructions on how you do it via Control Panel. Whether it is advisable or not is a different matter!

Disable User Account Control in Windows Vista
    Elaine

Comment

I have disabled it briefly before when I want to load something but I otherwise had it running all the time.
      Now I have to click four lots of permission just to delete a simple file.

I have also discovered that I cannot save to favorites any more. So much for a straightforward reinstall.
      Jennie

Comment

Jennie

If these files are from a backup, and you have reinstalled windows, I suspect it is not recognising them as belonging to you, hence the prompts for confirmation prior to being deleted.....

The link below should help...

Change the permissions and take ownership of your files and folders | Windows Vista for Beginners

Ultimately, UAC is there to protect you and your files... I have no doubt there are many who would advocate turning it off, I would personally put up with the prompts safe in the knowledge that any system altering actions will ask for my permission before blindly continuing....
        https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks, i will print off those instructions and try again.

I always have UAC on but somehow did not have to agree in several boxes for minor deletions-like a favourite.
          Jennie

Comment

Working...
          X