Date, age, etc, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date, age, etc, please

Another photo from a relative. Once again, I'm not sure that she has the right names for this family. Any help with date, ages, and especially the sex of the younger child, gratefully received. The more ideas the better, I may need help persuading her that she's wrong.

scuda

FramedPhotos-Family-c.jpg
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

The photo is quite small, but I think it dates somewhere from 1880 to 1890 , and the little one is probably a boy.....

Comment

And the gentleman is holding a Tam O'Shanter

Comment

Thanks Barbara, I've tried to attach a larger image but the system keeps shrinking it! I imagine the tam o'shanter is the boy's (and the baby has a tartan sash). Another thing that's puzzling me - what is the boy holding? It looks like some sort of gardening implement.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

I can't really tell what the "toy" is, perhaps if some kind soul can enlarge the photo????

Comment

FramedPhotos-Family-boy.jpg

Is this any better?

scuda

Comment

Scuda I don't know,OH says it's for catching snakes!!

Comment

OH says it's for catching snakes!!
                And my OH said it's for pulling boots off! But why a little boy would be clutching either of those things in a studio photo I've no idea!

scuda

Comment

The only thing I can sensibly suggest is that photographers had lots of props in their studios and that the little boy is holding one of them, if you look closely it looks like a tiny hoe.

Comment

did they have a pole on wheels to represent a horse and the child used it as such,brenda xxx

Comment

I don't think its a Hobby Horse, they seem always to have a horses head....

Comment

A popular child's toy was the hoop and stick. Not in the same league as the X-Box 360, but in widespread use in those days. This one looks as if you run along behind the hoop with the fork-shaped bit either side of the hoop - hence the bent-forward shape.
                        Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

Well done that man!!!!!

Comment

Oh yes, Paul, I'd never have thought of that, but it seems very feasible. Thanks

scuda

Comment

Working...
                            X