Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Will for Samuel Hadfield..where would I look ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Will for Samuel Hadfield..where would I look ?

Hi...need some help please
    my 3 x g grandmother was Margery Kay b 1827 in Penistone workhouse..
    mother Harriet Kay b c1806 Penistone workhouse...another member of FTF has posted me today that she has Margery Kay`s birth cert...it gives
    Samuel Hadfield ,occ gentleman as her father...where would I find anything out about this man...if he was a "gentleman" would he have made a will ??...if so,where would I look,presuming he was born or from Penistone....thanks...regards...allan;)
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Not sure if this is the one - on National Archives website
    The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details
    Elaine

Comment

A lot of useful information relating to probate records can be found on the relevant wiki page

Wills and Probate - Family Tree Forum
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Have you tried Googling, Allan? There is an interesting tree online.

btw, your contact is unlikely to have a birth certificate. She may have a bastardy bond.

Sometimes illegitimate children were encouraged as part of the family, but often their presence is conveniently ignored in all documentation.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

thankyou all...I will try those sites now...I`ll be back with any info I find ( I hope lol)....allan;)
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

WOW....thats what I call a family tree.....that was so much work done on a family tree I fail to see how the tree maker finds any time to work or sleep...anyway..I think I`ve found Samuel Hadfield...I`ve e-mailed the owner of the tree and now await his reply about Samuel...wish me luck and thanks to you all...if its not my Samuel....I`ll be back on Tuesday...lol...allan:D

Comment

Good luck Allan, hope you dont have to wait too long for a reply ;)
              Jacky

Comment

thanks Jacky...and thanks for the BLUE birthday cake on saturday...it nearly worked....lol....allan:D

Comment

Can I just post that I have made a mistake on the first posting...it was Margery`s MARRIAGE certificate that stated her fathers name NOT her birth cert...cheers....allan;)

Comment

I don`t know whether this will come back up on Research Q`s & A`s after such a long time but I`m back looking at Samuel Hadfield b abt 1805.....down on Margery Kay`s marriage cert as her father...occupation GENTLEMAN...could someone please explain what exactly does this mean ?....a rich landowner or a lord or something...
                    Margery Kay b 1827 was my 3 x g grandmother...(her mother was Harriet Kay b 1810 and had a child to Samuel)so I suppose realistically this Samuel Hadfield was my 4 x g grandfather....on a previous post it was suggested I look at a tree of Samuel Hadfield but it was so large/complicated and so many Samuel Hadfields it was confusing..I did e-mail the family but they haven`t replied after 3 months....any ideas on how to track this man down...any help gratefully received....lol...allan
                    Last edited by garstonite; 11-04-09, 10:13.

Comment

a gentleman or lady just means they were wealthy enough to not have to work for a living. sometimes the result of inherited wealth, but either their parents or themselves have made enough money to live comfortably.

Comment

thanks Kyle...if don`t know if I`ve got the right Samuel Hadfield but it appears he owned several Woollen Mills ....and Harriet was a Weaver ....so ...put 2 and 2 together....and you get my 3 x g grandmother....lol:D....allan

Comment

Working...
                        X