A favour, please, if anyone has access to the Ancestry passenger lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A favour, please, if anyone has access to the Ancestry passenger lists

I thought I had a print-out of this, but have hunted for an hour and cannot find it!! - and doubt if I will be able to get to library for some days.

The record is for Caroline Ruth Dowsett born c. 1892 in the New York Passenger lists.

My scribbled note says that she sailed to New York in 1911 - but that is all I have.

If anyone can tell me any more I would be extremely grateful - in particular, the date of sailing and next of kin

Many thanks
    Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 25-01-09, 17:42.
    Joan died in July 2020.

Hi,
    Caroline arrived in New York June 11, 1911 on the St Louis from Southampton. She's listed as a servant. Final destination looks like Sisterville. Her last residence was Brighton.

Comment

Many thanks, Debbie

I have found her in the 1911 census living in a vicarage in Brighton, as a parlourmaid, and had been wondering whether she went to New York before or after that - Ithink the census was in April ?

Off to find out where Sistersville is.......

Thank you, Debbie
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Thanks again, Debbie.

I did manage to get to the library today and discovered that there is a second page to the record! - but I could not read it very well, and made some notes but wondered whether anyone could make more sense of this second page than I managed.

It gives the address where Caroline is to stay in Sisterville, but I couldn't read it

It seem she was going to stay with her cousin - my best attempt at his/her name was J.A. Gilysend - does that look right?

Finally, it looked to me as though Caroline is described in the final column as having " R.S. tattooed on her left arm above the elbow" - I was in a bit of a rush, but it looked as though that description applied to her rather than to the person above or below

Any ideas very welcome.

Thanks
        Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 26-01-09, 19:44.
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Joan - I'm just about to eat so haven't had a chance for a proper look but it does seem that the tattoo applies to her.

The images are free to view on the Ellis Island website

Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search
          Gillian
          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Good heavens. I would have thought tattoos on women were very unusual in those days, weren't they?

Who was Caroline working for before she went to NY? Maybe we should check if they were on the ship with her?

Comment

Ooh thanks, Gillian - have registered on the Ellis Island site and found the record - it seems clearer that the Ancestry one - the name of the cousin now looks to me like J A Glyden

Mary, in the 1911 census, before she sailed, Caroline is working for the Reverend Gerard Mottram Hutton and his wife Evelyn :D
              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

If you look at the map, there's a place near Sistersville called New Matamoras - I wonder if that's it?

Is she saying her passage was paid by her uncle? It's hard to work out which line goes with who.

Comment

I thought it was her uncle too, Mary.

it's a shame it seems impossible to read the rest of the address in Sistersville
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I thought it was her uncle too, Mary.

Ooh yes - it does look rather like New Matamoras - thanks
                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I think the line that reads "uncle Hugh Smith" may also relate to her. Does that ring any bells?

Comment

I think the Uncle is Hugh Smith.

If you go to the top of the page the name of the relative is on the top. It is baadly set out.

The person you mentioned is listed as a cousin.
                        Kit

Comment

New Matamoras seems to be in Ohio - HW Wicks, Caroline's second husband also had connections with Ohio many years later - a family called Paules from Cuyahogo Falls attempted to sponsor his immigration into the U.S.

Sorry - am getting two threads mixed up again!

Wish I could read the cousin's name LOL
                          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Ooh, thanks Mary & Kit - that looks right - - i.e she was going to stay with her Uncle, who does look like Hugh Smith, rather than with her cousin whose name is illegible!

i haven't come across any Smiths before!

The layout is very confusing! - but the tattoo is looking even more like hers ...
                            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

if you look at the map, there's a New Matamoras right next door to Sistersville WVa:

sistersville "west virginia" - Google Maps

Comment

I thought the cousin's name was Glyde or Glyden, but there are no hits in Sistersville for that name in the 1910 US census.

Comment

If Hugh was her uncle, he should be her mother's brother, presumably. What was her mother's maiden name, to save me ploughing back through the thread?

Comment

Did you see that it gives the name of her nearest relative in England, a sister? I can't read it, though. What were her sisters' names?

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
                                      New Matamoras seems to be in Ohio -
                                      Sorry, I've just checked again, and we're both right - New Matamoras is very close to Sistersville, but just across the State border in Ohio.

Comment

Thanks Mary - I think Caroline's mother was Mary Ann Hill - Caroline's sisters were Mary M and Doris Margery/Marjorie
                                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                        X