Google books....what on earth?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google books....what on earth?????

Just found another entry and heaven knows what it might mean.......

I searched under Page Goulson, and up pops this

The poll book for the election of ... - Google Book Search
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

The poll books were lists of electors, so your man was presumably a property owner in 1857.

The snippet isn't showing up for me, but there seems to be one hit in the book for "goulson, page".

Comment

I think it means Page Goulson was entitled to vote.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Unless it says Goulson, page 15 or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
          Unless it says Goulson, page 15 or something.
          It is an entry for his name, there is a small extract from the book showing the name but the place is just snipped off :( It could be for one of seferal chaps in my tree, there are a few in my tree for the time in the right area. Looking at the way the info appears on the screen i think your first reply answers the query.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

The Rt/Fr is under the heading "Qual" - ?Rent/Freehold?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The name above appears to be "F...., James"

If you can work out a likely surname, you could search for it and it might come up. Searching on James says there are 30 pages with matches - but offers only the first three.

One of the places on page 94 is Marston.

The bit that you can't read will be the "Residence if out of the Parish".

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-01-09, 19:49.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Glen,
                bit of a long shot but worth a try....

I found a magazine that was held in the Library of Congress, I found their email addy, sent a begging letter, and was very pleased to recieve photocopies of the magazine entries - and a couple of others by post within a week!!!

....it just might be worth a go - don't know which you should try?

Oxford University Libraries
                ;) Helen x

Comment

Looking at the possible matching Page Goulson entries in my tree it looks like there is only one chap it could be.

Page Goulson 1801-1851 born Ropsley and died at Marston. He did have a son by the same name born in 1832 at Marston so that discounts the son at least and places him in the right place at the right time..

By sheer coincedence i had a message late last week relating to another Page Goulson from someone on Ancestry. Part of a story relating to the tree refers to an illegitimate child and the name the child was given makes the father likely to be another Page Goulson.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

The poll book's dated 1857, though.

Comment

Whoops the son born 1832, died 1887, i had been looking at something else dated 1832 a moment earlier and put that date to the book:o

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                      X