Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London WW2 'bomb maps' ?

Hi everyone.

I was up in Southwark (South London) yesterday looking around the area and trying to locate a few addresses that show up in my family on Census and Certs from 1880's onwards.

I found and photographed the house where my Grandfather was born in 1900. and I got to many of the roads..............however the other roads were either missing houses or simply don't exist in 2009.

I saw the Time Team programme a while back when they dug up a London playing field that had been the site of a road and houses in WW2. They had a 'bomb damage map'.

So where might I get something like that from ? This is to cover the Southwark area.

What was great was to see a massive mix of old places and new places. Indeed, the Church where my Great Grandparents were married in 1897 is now a Mosque ! The bombs all landed nearby and there were few left to actually attend the Church ! After the war the houses weren't rebuilt in an area and so the Church must have fallen into disuse - St Marks on Cobourg Road.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Bit of info here Simon

The Map Room: London WWII Bomb Damage Maps
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

available only from ParishRegister.com

The London County Council Bomb Damage Maps 1939-45 Atlas.

-We are the sole internet distributor of this book. The only other place it can be ordered from is the LMA-and they are charging £30 UK postage! It's a big heavy book
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Southwark local studies would be a good place.... currently housed at Peckham Library.

Ceratinly Croydon Local Studies holds maps for the local area - and you may well get a copy of the bit you want at a reasonable price.

I was once shown an amazing map: ordinary street map, but with great swathes of London gouged out. Not the sort of thing you would have wanted smuggled into Germany.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

You could enquire at your local library to do an inter-library loan search. Though
          if it's a big tome as suggested that might be a non-starter.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you all.

I must say that it felt a bit 'wierd' with a 2009 map in one hand and an 1894 map in the other...........trying to visualise the old houses. Having a few scattered around and newish flats all about was so strange.

Comment

There's still parts of London where you can see where the bombs hit. A row of nice Georgian houses with a block of 60s flats plonked right in the middle. Then if you walk to the parallel streets, the same again. On a map you can plot the hits of that particular bomb load.

If you live near Swindon, it's always worth popping into view their vertical photographs collection.
              Aerial Photos : Aerial Photos : Photo Collections : Learning & Resources : English Heritage
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

My brother lives in a terrace of mid-Victorian cottages in Battersea. He pointed out 3 houses that had been reconstructed after WWII. The give-away was the concrete window and door lintels, but they had been rebuilt quite realistically.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
                  There's still parts of London where you can see where the bombs hit. A row of nice Georgian houses with a block of 60s flats plonked right in the middle. Then if you walk to the parallel streets, the same again. On a map you can plot the hits of that particular bomb load.

If you live near Swindon, it's always worth popping into view their vertical photographs collection.
                  Aerial Photos : Aerial Photos : Photo Collections : Learning & Resources : English Heritage
                  Indeed on Saturday you could see pretty much where the bombs might well have fallen. Some of the streets had just a few original houses, so clearly after WW2, the authorities did all they could to keep any reasonable house up, and not just pull down and clear whole streets.

Comment

Working...
                  X