Brickwall down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brickwall down!

Yesterday we went off to my Aunt's memorial service at Chiswick. We returned, OH, sister, sister-in-law and I and I cooked dinner.

Then I checked my e-mails!!! OH's 2nd cousin had contacted me just saying "Look at this!"

We had spent years trying to find OH's 3xgt grandfather's death/burial/will.
    He was CHARLES LAMB born 1795 at Huntingdon. He and his family went to Whitby and he went missing in the early 1830s, to be mentioned by a couple of aunts as dead. They left his widow and family clothes etc.

He obviously didn't die in Whitby as no grave, death record etc.

I found a burial in St Giles Cripplegate for June 1832, correct age, but nothing else.

This is the link:

London Medical Gazette: Or, Journal ... - Google Book Search

Please read! I nearly fell off the chair! His final days in great detail plus the post mortem.

My sister and sister-in-law are both medical and were fascinated.

I know know that the burial in St GIles Cripplegate is almost certainly him! Guildhall Library here I come!

OH's second cousin is ecstatic.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

By the way, my advice:

Google, Google, Google - this was Google books.
    It must be a new addition as noone found it before.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

How fascinating! ... if a little bit more information than one would normally seek!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

What a find Elizabeth and fascinating reading although not sure how I would feel about it had he been one of mine. Can see why you are so thrilled tho'.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

how wonderful lucky you, how do you google books please ????????????

Comment

Congrats on the breakthrough. What a gruesome gem! The OH and I are just back from a visit to the cafe and I thought I'd have a surf. How I wish I hadn't had that latte and spongecake LOL

Comment

how interesting did you read the next case of the pregnant woman???? poor lady

Comment

Sorry to the squeamish! It's being brought up by 2 vets that makes me rather immune.:o Perhaps I should have issued a warning.

I should have mentioned our initial reaction when we read this, the sympathy for the poor man and the fact that we have spent many years being so sorry for the poor family left in Whitby - Sarah his widow and 8 children, some of whom were forced into the Poor House on the 1841 census (OH's great-grandfather just 12 years old). We have agonised long and hard over this family.

I suppose we are just so pleased (if that is the word) to know finally what happened to him (there was even speculation that he had left the family to fend for themselves). We knew he had business in London - there are two pistol in Whitby Museum with "Lamb London" on them.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

It seems that he was lucky to have received cutting edge medicinal care even though he didn't make it.

I've just been reading a book on Dr John Snow & the discovery of the cause of cholera in London "The Ghost Map" by Steven Johnson, a good read.

Comment

How exciting, Elizabeth!

St Giles Cripplegate is the one that is now surrounded by the Barbican development, but is extensively restored. I don't think its usually open.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

WOW!!

What absolutely fascinating stuff!

I think they could probably teach the medics of today a thing or two about detailed record-keeping, tho possibly not about medical procedures - they pumped a gallon of water into him?!!!?

At least he died in a cheerful frame of mind by the sound of it - how marvellous to even have his exact words recorded!

Comment

Oh the bit about the 10 year old George Cousins was really sad!

They really did suffer didn't they?

:(

Joanie

Comment

I just plonked one of the rarer surnames from my tree in and got the usual multiple modern references to bees, when i tried some specific names i got a few interesting results but they are mostly from books that haven't been scanned :(

I have found one interesting court case mentioned between two surnames that later married in my tree.....not sure if the link works but it's the Goulson entry

Reports of Cases Argued and ... - Google Book Search

Another shows a rellie listed as a vet apparently and another one is mentioned in an article referrring to stoneware and ceramics, not sure any of them were involved with that but there are stoneware bottles that bear the name.

There are a few referecnces to Brigadier Goulson too, though it seems that the books may only be in the US.
                          Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 25-01-09, 15:58.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Good Lord!

I've never tried the Google book search before. I've just found a reference to a Flower Sainsbury in the Lavingtons, where mine seem to originate...

" Mary,m. to Flower Sainsbury Esq. of Lavington.....

I could be related to a man called Flower!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It just shows that if you keep ferretting away, something might appear some day. I never in my wildest dreams expected a find like this.

What would be do without the Internet?
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:

Comment

Good old Alexander Tweedie!

AIM25 text-only browsing: Royal College of Physicians: TWEEDIE, Alexander (1794-1884)
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:

Comment

That's marvellous... it's amazing what you can find on the internet and it certainly pays to keep on trying!
                                  Jenny

Comment

Brilliant find............ I wish I hadn't settled down to read it with my dinner though LOL!

Comment

Absolutely wonderful, Elizabeth, & as I always say, never give & keep googling!!
                                      ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Working...
                                      X