bagillt wales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bagillt wales

My gtx4 grandparents (Grattons) came from Wales BIG SHOCK never new I was a Taffy, quite exciting really, but I cannot find any cemetery transcripts online. I live in Australia so my research in UK is limited, however the world wide web is a wonderful thing and we can discover anything if we look hard enough. I need to know if John Gratton b1791- d1861 Flintshire (Hollyhead I think) is buried in the vicinity. Ive tried the local councils not too helpful Im afraid, does anyone have ideas where I go from here. When I make my journey to UK to visit my dead rellies I would like to know at least where they are.
    I LOVE THIS FORUM :D

Be glad they are called Gratton and not Jones or Evans! Flintshire doesn't appear to be covered on the National Burials Index. I thought Holyhead was in Anglesey? That's also not on the NBI! Where does Bagillt fit in?
    Last edited by Little Nell; 25-01-09, 13:10.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Perhaps he is the one shown here...?

Deaths Sep 1861
      Gratton John ..Holywell 11b 179

A look on 1861 census should locate him. He is likely to be buried nearby. The parish name should show on the top of the census page.

Comment

It would be worth you bookmarking GPM Gogledd Cymru - North Wales BMD.

There's a steady (but not overwhelming) recording of GRATTON births in Flintshire over pretty much the whole period for which transcriptions are available (up to 1950). Similarly for marriages and deaths - including the 1861 "John" death in/near Holywell, mentioned above.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

1841 Wales Census shows him living in Holywell:
          HO107; Piece 1413; Book: 1; Civil Parish: Holywell; County: Flintshire; Enumeration District: 14; Folio: 71; Page: 40; Line: 17; GSU roll: 464325.

Death is shown as Sep 1861 Holywell 11b 179 (same as the one Gwyn posted).
          Last edited by lorry53; 25-01-09, 15:56.
          Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            Be glad they are called Gratton and not Jones or Evans!
            Tell me about it!
            Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              It would be worth you bookmarking GPM Gogledd Cymru - North Wales BMD.

There's a steady (but not overwhelming) recording of GRATTON births in Flintshire over pretty much the whole period for which transcriptions are available (up to 1950). Similarly for marriages and deaths - including the 1861 "John" death in/near Holywell, mentioned above.

Christine

The site and updates that Christine adds to her local bmd database thread are well worth looking at, every time Chjristine posts an update for one area i'm looking at it prompts me to go back and have a look, nearly every time i come by a record which has just been added and in every case it's one of mine.

Thanks to some unusual name combinations i have around 120 names in 15 family groups ready to slot into my "work in progress" tree once i find the exact couples they descend from, i just need a few details from the 1810's and 1820's to bridge a small gap. Close to 15% of my tree is down to the one local bmd site and i only bothered looking once Christine started her thread, well over 100 names all thanks to one link Christine promotes and updates several times a week.
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

There is a BBC site which gives an old 19c description of Bagillt .. at the end of the piece are comments made by the public and a couple of them include information about and by the Gratton family. Bagillt into a search engine should find it

Comment

Thank you, Glen! I do believe that's an encomium, and I don't think I've had one of those before!

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    Thank you, Glen! I do believe that's an encomium, and I don't think I've had one of those before!

Christine

You could well be right, but i had to google!!! I was slightly worried before the result came up though and was looking at ways to vanish without trace:D

Based on the name and location from the local bmd i now have a better idea of the chap who was a surgeon and his chemical patent, i can definately place him in the area at the time.

Best hand the thread back to the original topic again methinks.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks from me too, Christine!
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                      X