McAfee Internet Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McAfee Internet Security

We have BT Internet and as part of their package it used to come with Norton Internet Security which I have always been happy with. I know some people don't like it but I do.

Now BT have changed to McAfee. I just can't get on with it. I can't see where to set it to scan on a regular daily basis.
    I looked at it last night and it hadn't done a scan since 16 Jan.

Can anyone help?

I uninstalled it last night and tried AVG but I don't like that either.

Double click on the Mcafee icon at the bottom right of your screen (in the system tray)
    Choose to open Security Centre
    Select Computer and files
    Select the configure link at the bottom right
    Select the Advanced button in the Virus protection section

On the left is a link to the scheduled scan settings

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks Trevor

OH has just done that on his. I will now do mine, after I have uninstalled the AVG.

Comment

macafee

Is Macafee free it keeps coming up on my new Laptop but not sure if it is free so was going to go for AVG thanks for any info.

Granabella.

Comment

Originally posted by granabella View Post
          Is Macafee free it keeps coming up on my new Laptop but not sure if it is free so was going to go for AVG thanks for any info.

Granabella.
          No, its not free. You sometimes get 3 months access with a new computer. You have to pay after that if you want to continue it.

Mine is sort of free as it comes as standard with my BT Internet Security.

What I didn't like about AVG is that is was just anti virus. I wanted a package that included a firewall and spam filters as well.

When this comes as part of what I pay BT for my Internet, I don't feel inclined to pay for something as well.

Comment

My advice is do not use the Spam application in Mcafee
            I find it causes system problems and slows down the general operation of the PC

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
              My advice is do not use the Spam application in Mcafee
              I find it causes system problems and slows down the general operation of the PC
              Ok Thanks Trevor

I'll look into that.

Actually, I can't see anything about spam, there is a lot about spyware but not spam.
              Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 25-01-09, 19:52.

Comment

Funny you know I have just got a new lap top, I have a desk top as well, but the lap top has Mcaffe on a 30 free trial and I am finding the lap top quite slow, is this why, because years ago I had it on my desk top and it slowed evrything down there, I might un install it.
                regards Patti

*******always searching*********
                for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Comment

Since I've re installed it, it's been fine. I was having a lot of problems before but I now think I have it set up properly.

I think a lot of the problem was that I am so used to Norton. I have never used anything else in 10 years. McAfee now comes as part of my BT Internet Security so I'm damned if I am going to pay extra for something else.

Comment

We've just been through the same thing, Margaret - we get it 'free' with BT internet too. I think we had got so used to Norton and its funny () little ways! It took a while to get used to McAfee.

Ours came already set up to scan on a Friday morning - with Norton it waited for us to get it to scan - sometimes that was quite a long wait - ooops! :o Every day seems like a lot of scanning! I have to remember to turn the computers on early on Friday so it gets it over with before we try to do anything!

In case anyone wonders why we get the security via BT - it works out quite economically if you have several computers. One package will cover up to NINE computers (not that we have that many!

Anne

Comment

Anne

You can set it up to scan daily. I have, following Trevor's instructions.

You can also get it to scan at whatever time of the day is better for you.

As you say, its just getting used to it and it is better for us with BT Internet as it comes as part of "the package"
                      Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 25-01-09, 21:41.

Comment

And you can set it so that it only updates and scans manually when you tell it to. I used to have my McAfee set to update automatically whenever I logged on to the internet and to scan automatically every Friday afternoon. I got thoroughly fed-up with the way it slowed my computer down whilst going through its checks so now I do a manual update every day when I first switch the computer on and a full computer scan when I come off the internet on a Friday. You soon get into the routine and it becomes a habit to go through the checks. The McAfee homepage does show clearly when the last update and scan happened so you can keep an eye on it. I changed from Norton to McAfee about 18 months ago and it did all seem strange at first; it does seem a harder programme to find your way around than Norton but I'm happy with it.

Ann
                        ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                        Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

The scan is not as important as the updates
                          Updates must b be set for automatic, because new viruses are coming online all the time, the longer between updates the more at risk you are of being infected before your antivirus is updated and knows about the new little 'beastie'

I have my scan set as weekly at about 10:00 pm and never had an infection actually found on the system
                          My updates are automatic.
                          About 6 months ago, there were 4 automatic updates in only two days, so shows how many new viruses were out there.

Researching:

Comment

Yes, Trevor, I think that's what I was trying to say. I have it scan once a week. The updates are automatic and I hardly notice them happening.

I would find it very tiresome to have it scan every day since it takes nearly 2 hours. I need to get on the computer in that time!!

Anne

Comment

Working...
                            X