Help need advice please Re Laptop again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help need advice please Re Laptop again

Some of you will be aware I bought a new Laptop just over a year ago it completely failed and had a new Motherboard within a few months and after another few months it had another ,but was still playing up ,they then decided it was the Power supply making it crash so I now have a new power supply, but just now I was in the middle of searching on Ancestry when it froze and nothing I could do would release it without logging off , before I take it back again sccccrrrrreeeaaammmm would you say this is a fault somewhere in the system???? As I really want a good argument for making them change it this time .

I tell you one of the main problems with laptops is that they overheat easily
    If you are using it, make sure that there is a space of at least an inch between the base of the laptop and table. (even worse, if you actually use it on your lap).

This is because they place the little fan that has that job at the bottom.

If a laptop gets too hot, the processor will not function correctly.

We had a big problem with this and Samsung laptops that were supplied to staff at my college, simple solution was that we placed a piece of 1x1 dowl rod at the rear of the laptop, so it had a slight angle and so a space under it.

Last week, I was asked to look a student's HP laptop with the same problem, and just could not believe how hot it was getting.
    That's the problem when they cram all electronics in such a small space.

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

thats interesting to know thanks Trevor I would never put it on my Lap anyway heard too many bad things about that, will see what I can do

Comment

Slightly adjusting my information:

This is because they place the little fan that has the job of drawing in air to help cool the laptop at the bottom.

If a laptop gets too hot, the processor will not function correctly and WILL freeze or even shutdown the Laptop.

Because of the latest laptops and the speed of their processors, they now get extremely hot and there are now being marketed 'trays' to sit them on, that have fans built into them to blast cooling air upwards onto the laptop's base
        Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 24-01-09, 20:52.

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

is that right ??? thanks again I really dont understand why they didnt ask me about that in the shop.
          I shall see what I can buy

Comment

Maplin Electrics
            Maplin> laptop cooling tray

Researching:

Comment

Thanks very much Trevor I cant believe I have never heard of them.

Comment

at £30
                it could be the solution, as excessive heat WILL cause a motherboard to fail.

I teach PC build and place an emphasis on the students on cooling needs and the effects of current components.

Nt saying that is the problem you have had, but I bet it is

Researching:

Comment

bear in mind as well that NO laptop sold in the last 3 years (and possibly longer) should be used directly on your lap...
                  They should ALWAYS be placed on a hard surface where the moulded feet on the underside will lift the laptop so as to allow the correct airflow for the thermal design of that chassis...

Cooling trays can help, but they are designed to help in situations where the laptop is being used to the limit of its abilities..
                  If it is overheating while on a hard surface and only doing simple tasks such as web-browsing and email, then this points to other issues
                  https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grimsqueaker View Post
                    bear in mind as well that NO laptop sold in the last 3 years (and possibly longer) should be used directly on your lap...
                    :o:o:o

*makes sure webcam is switched off*
                    Elaine

Comment

I really wish I knew what the problem is I would never put it on my lap though.
                      It does happen after its been on a while ???

Comment

ooh Elaine you'll be sterile LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          I really wish I knew what the problem is I would never put it on my lap though.
                          It does happen after its been on a while ???
                          TBH Val, it sounds like the cooling within your laptop is not performing as it is designed to do.....
                          Adding supplementary cooling via a cooling tray would help this, but why should you have to spend more money to resolve a fault with the laptop that will be covered by its warranty....

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                            :o:o:o

*makes sure webcam is switched off*

eye watering evidence that chaps espescially shouldnt use them on their laps

Man burns penis with laptop • The Register

Comment

thing is Grimsqueaker the guarantee ran out in December, I wish I had taken it back and asked for my money back after the second Motherboard was fitted but really never thought it would play up again.
                              Trouble is you aren't entitled to a replacement till the shop has tried to fix it, I think its 3 times .

Comment

Was the last repair done under warranty Val ?? if it was then you are still, effectively under warranty as the repair seems to have been ineffective, and in any case the repair will carry a 90day warranty of its own.....

Comment

Hi Val

You say you never use the Laptop on your lap so do you use it on a table , is the table a hard surface or does it have a tablecloth.?

If it has a tablecloth all you need is a piece of hardboard or thin plywood underneath to stop the small rubber feet sinking into the cloth , the cool air can then enter and and the hot air can escape.Spending £30 on a cooling tray is an unnecessary expence.
                                  All computers give off heat , if you put your hand to the rear at the top of your desktop after it has been on for a while you will feel the warm air being blown out.

Reply to Grimsqueaker.

Laptops are designed to be used on your lap.(hence the name)
                                  We have had a laptop for about 4 years and it is used 99% of the time on the lap with no problems with heat.
                                  As long as you are aware where the air goes in and out it can be positioned accordingly.
                                  I am posting from my laptop and my left knee is getting warm.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by kenw55 View Post

Reply to Grimsqueaker.

Laptops are designed to be used on your lap.(hence the name)
                                    We have had a laptop for about 4 years and it is used 99% of the time on the lap with no problems with heat.
                                    As long as you are aware where the air goes in and out it can be positioned accordingly.
                                    I am posting from my laptop and my left knee is getting warm.

Ken

Ken, there is not a laptop on sale today that is designed for use directly on your lap...
                                    If you choose to balance it on your lap so as not to impede airflow, that is your choice... but please do not imply that they are designed with this in mind..

Why do you think the manufacturers now actually label them as notebooks....

Comment

Grimsqueaker the warranty on the Laptop itself finished in Decemeber the latest Motherboard was fitted in November so runs out in February and the new Transformer they have given me has no warranty at all.
                                      Ken thanks for your reply it has always been on a proper desk without any kind of cover on.

Comment

If it is still faulty, in that the previous repairs have not resolved the problem, then the fault will be deemed to have occurred within warranty, so you are still covered....

It is ridiculous to think that you should be lumbered with a machine that is still not fit for purpose even after repair....
                                        You have given them ample opportunity to repair the laptop, and they have failed to do so.. You should be seriously considering returning to the store and asking for either a refund OR a replacement of the same value.....

Comment

Working...
                                        X