Irish registration Indexes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish registration Indexes

I have just found this on County Down Genealogy yahoo group site.

"I don't know if anyone has seen this yet but the Irish Registration
    Indexes are online here

FamilySearch Record Search
    chable;c=1408347

The summary of the records listing says there are
    no images but I was able to see images for some so I don't know if
    all images are up yet and the collection isn't complete online (they
    do periodic updates)"

People have been having some success, thought it might be worth passing on, if you haven't already seen it.
    ;) Helen x

Yes, I have just been on there and found lots of info for my Irish family.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks for this Helen
      I have been able to view an image on everything I looked at.
      With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Thanks Helen! Been waiting for these to come online!
        Sarah

Comment

Hope you all find some elusive Irish rellies, I think I have one or two leads, including a census entry 1841 that shows up on find my past but not ancestry....exciting..!
          ;) Helen x

Comment

I've found some entries I already have but had better leave it till another day to do proper searching. Thanks so much for telling us! Brilliant news!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I've found I get more search results by selecting "All events" and "Exact, close & partial" (rather than "Exact & close match") because the names of the registration districts don't match up exactly with the names of places (for example, it won't pick up Newry or Kilkeel as a registration district if you enter Newry or Kilkeel under "Exact & close match", but it will pick them up under "Exact, close & partial"). You can then narrow your search further on the results page by clicking on an event type, place, date, etc. at the top of the results page.

Also, when you click on "new search" it seems to search all the records including American, English, etc., but if you click on "refine search" it will keep searching the Ireland indexes only.

This is a useful site for finding which registration district the different townlands come under: IreAtlas Townland Search Form (registration districts and poor law unions have the same boundaries)
              Sarah

Comment

Thanks for this - it's excellent!!
                Kind regards,
                William
                Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

It even includes Irish "overseas" indexes, as I've found a couple of my army rellies who got married overseas in there (also included in the English overseas indexes but that may be because they married English people).
                  KiteRunner

Comment

hmmmmm

i think i must be the only person that never gets any hits from the familysearch website, no matter how much or how little the information i enter.....i always get the same answer.....no records found

Comment

I have found my GG Grandparents deaths plus two marriages and children of one of there sons.

Does anyone know how to find the other partner in a marriage like you can on FreeBMD?
                      Wendy

Comment

Hi Lou, welcome to FTF.
                        Which FamilySearch site are you looking at?
                        There is this one, which has the IGI, etc.: FamilySearch.org - Search
                        And there is the new pilot site, which is the one to which the Irish BMD Indexes have just been added: FamilySearch Record Search
                        Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                          Does anyone know how to find the other partner in a marriage like you can on FreeBMD?
                          I was going to ask the same question, but I have a horrid feeling the only way is either to pay for the marriage certificate or look through all the pages for the whole quarter trying to find a matching entry. I hope I'm wrong though!
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Yes Kate, that was what I thought.

I do know her first name so that helps a bit, I suppose!!!!
                            Wendy

Comment

Thanks so much - I found a Newton death for 1929.

Off to look again later.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:
                              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

It's not too bad for the overseas / army marriages as there are only a few per year.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Since all the pages I've looked at so far are typed ones, I was assuming they'd used OCR software to index them, but I've just found a typical typo in the transcription - Jospeh for Joseph - and the actual image has Joseph so I suppose actual people must have transcribed the entries. Wow, a big thank you to them!
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

A couple of tips / moans - if you select marriages on the "refine search", it always seems to come up with no matches, but if you select "all events" your results will include marriages. And I'm having trouble selecting a place - for instance, I found a birth registered in Naas district but if I select "Naas, Kildare, Ireland" as the place and search for the same event it will say no matches. Anybody managed to work out how to do this?
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Kate,
                                      Yes, see my post #7. I've been selecting "all events", and entering the district as per whatever possibilities come up (e.g. Kilkeel, Down, Ireland). This brings up nothing with "Exact & close match", but it brings up matches with "Exact, close & partial" selected. Brings up lots of matches, for other places too, but in this case the ones in Kilkeel Registration District appear at the top of the list.
                                      Then, once you get to the results page, you can narrow the search using the categories at the top of the page. To narrow down to marriages only, click on "Event type" and then select "Residence".
                                      Last edited by Cloggie; 25-01-09, 17:32.
                                      Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                        Since all the pages I've looked at so far are typed ones, I was assuming they'd used OCR software to index them, but I've just found a typical typo in the transcription - Jospeh for Joseph - and the actual image has Joseph so I suppose actual people must have transcribed the entries. Wow, a big thank you to them!
                                        I think it has been done by volunteers as part of this project: FamilySearch.org - Indexing

There are also some errors in the "original" typed records themselves. I've found Tinnelly written incorrectly as Timnelly on one of the typed pages, and then incorrectly transcribed as Tunnelly in the searchable index.

I've also found some transcriptions that are missing the quarter or year, but they can usually be found by clicking back or forward a page to the previous or next image.

By the way, it seems the indexed records cover the whole of Ireland up to 1922, and the Republic of Ireland only after 1922. The description of the record content also says: Northern Ireland, after 1922. Description of content not provided at this time.
                                        I haven't found any matches for known births/marriages in Northern Ireland after 1922.
                                        Last edited by Cloggie; 25-01-09, 17:43.
                                        Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                        X