Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed tracing Bateman - I'm stuck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed tracing Bateman - I'm stuck!

Hi everyone!

I am having great trouble trying to trace back my Great Granddad and his parents and I would be very grateful for any help as I seem to have run out of ideas. Its mainly the mystery of who my great granddads parents are that I am stuck on but this is what I know so far:

My Great granddad (Reginald Percy Bateman) was born April 14th 1914 at Clapham Maternity. Mother was Florence Mary Bateman but there is no Fathers name on the birth certificate. Does anyone know if records were kept for Clapham maternity?

Birth certificate - Florence Mary Bateman is a domestic servant of 104 Waterloo road and it says she was living there too.

Post office directory - 104 Waterloo road is listed as a Tobacconist run by Mrs Alice Osborne in 1914 and 1915.

Workhouse records - Lambeth workhouse records - Florence and Reginald both entered the workhouse 28th April 1914 and left on 2nd May by request and they both went back to 104 Waterloo road. It says on the workhouse record that he was an illegitimate child. Also it says she was born 1894. Would this birth date be accurate or is it likely that if she was younger she might have lied? Any thoughts about her going back? Was this common?

My great granddad went on to live with the Scott family at 190 High road Tottenham so I suppose he was either adopted or given away. Would there be records for this?

On Reginald Percy Bateman’s marriage certificate the fathers name is filled in with ‘Reginald Percy Bateman (deceased) with occupation of Tailor’. Is it likely that this is his dad’s name or did they used to make it up?

That is all the information I have been able to find out so far. Any ideas of other things to look at or find out?

Thank you, any help appreciated!

Muppett88

Hallo

No idea whether Florence would have lied about her age. Have you tried to find her in previous censuses?

There would very probably be no adoption records since formal, legal adoption didn't occur until 1927. It's more likely to have been a private arrangement with Florence and the Scotts, or possibly an intermediary.

As for his father's name - he may have made it up if he was ashamed of being illegit or if he wanted to reassure his in-laws. Or it may have been his father's name. There's no way to tell based on just his marriage cert.

You could try looking for maintenance orders, which I think would be in the quarter sessions records at the relevant county records office. But its more likely Florence had to carry on working to support herself, hence Reginald being looked after by the Scotts.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Info about the hospital records:

The National Archives | Search the archives | Hospital Records| Details

Comment

Hi Little Nell,

Thank you for your quick and helpful replies!

I have tried looking on the 1901 census, but there seems to be quite a few Florence M Batemans, so without knowing where about she was at this time, I am a bit stuck on trying to work out which one she could be!

I have also looked at 104 Waterloo road on the 1901 Census and found the ‘Wilkinson’ family living there with a servant named ‘Emily Northover’. I also found on the post office directory in 1910 that the Wilkinsons were still there as a tobacconist.

Then on the 1911 census and have found that the ‘Schwinn’ family lived there then.

Directory of 1914 and 1915 shows that Mrs Alice Osborne owned the tobacconist at 104 Waterloo road.

I am just totally puzzled now as nothing jumps out!

Thanks for your idea about looking for Maintance records…think I will have to try that next!

Also thanks for the detail about the Hospital records. Will have a look into them and see if that brings up any more info.

Thanks again

Muppet88

xx

Comment

Did Florence marry?

Comment

This looks like a possible marriage for Florence

Marriages Mar 1922
            Bateman Florence M Wood Lambeth 1d 396
            WOOD Basil G Bateman Lambeth 1d 936
            Jay

Comment

Hi again, ;)

I really don't know if she married or not becasue my great grandad always said his Mum died at child birth (which obviously didn't happen becasue she went into the workhouse and then went back to Waterloo road after with him - which we have records of from Lambeth workhouse) and he said his dad died when he was 3. So i think that was his story becasue he must have been emmbarssed about being illigt.

The last record i have of her is her going back into Waterloo road after coming out of the workhouse!

xxx

Comment

Hi JayG,

Thanks for that record of the marriage. That sounds like a good possibility especially as Waterloo road is in Lambeth!

Think i will have to order that marriage certificate and see if that gives any cluse like her middle name matching up to be Marry.

Maybe Florence gave Reginald away and then carried on with her life and went on to marry etc.

Thanks again for all your help!

Muppett88 :D
                xxx

Comment

I wonder if Florence died in childbirth with his half brother & not him?

There's this death

Deaths Mar 1925
                  Wood Florence M 28 years Lambeth 1d 430

There's a birth of a Wood MMN Bateman registered Lambeth June 1/4 1925. I know the death is in the quarter before the birth but that's not unusual, i've got the same in my tree.

Haven't posted the full details because they may still be alive, you can find the full details on freebmd

FreeBMD - Search
                  Jay

Comment

Redacted

Comment

In 1901 there's a 4 year old Florence M Bateman living at York Road, Lambeth. Parents John H & Emily J Bateman. All the dates certainly 'fit' but you'll need to do a bit more research to confirm it's the right Florence.
                      Jay

Comment

Hi,

Thanks again everyone, you have opened up lots of good links! 

That marriage of a Florence to a Wood sounds likely and that death around the same time as the possible half brother also sounds like a possibility.

Just looked for the birth of the Florence M Bateman but she seems to have a middle name of Muriel. I have just looked at Reginald’s Birth certificate and it definitely says Mary as her middle name. Any possibility it might have been shortened or changed? Does look good still though as York road is in Lambeth.

Will also check for Florrie too as I had thought about that idea!!

xxx

Comment

Of course what Reginald thought about his parentage may have been what he was told by his adoptive parents.

Comment

Yea, true Little Nell, Think i need to do a lot more research and matching stuff up before i crack this one!and be cetain which Florence she is!!

Muppett88
                            -x-x-x-

Comment

Just a quick question.... do you think it might be worth me looking to see if Reginald Percy Bateman was Baptised?! Would that give any extra info? Also if so where is the best place to look for these records for around Waterloo road?

Thanks again

Muppett88
                              xxx

Comment

Working...
                              X