scotlandspeople question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scotlandspeople question

what information am I likely to get from an 1835 marriage parish record on Scotlandspeople please?
    Would it give me parents names of groom and bride?

Gloryer it is pot luck really.
    Usually you'll just get the names of the bride and groom and the parishes they are from and parish in which they married.

On occassion you may be fortunate enough to get a little bit more like maybe one of the fathers names thrown in but it is a rare occassion.
    With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Hi Gloryer,
      The information on Scottish parish records vary considerably.
      I have to say, with mine, only the minority have the parents names. Also be aware that the cautioner ( the cautioner is a bit like the sponsor or guarantor) for the bride may not always be the father - I have instances where an uncle has stood as the cautioner.
      Sometimes the brides father is listed, I haven't come across the mother listed in mine but that doesn't mean it doesn't occur.
      Sometimes witnesses are listed and places
      Often it says something like - "John Smith and Jane Brown" and that is the complete entry bar the date and parish at the head of the page.
      If you go to the "whats in the database" section of Scotland People you should get a better description.

The nicest thing about the parish registers, I think, is the very old script and sometimes, in a small rural area, you can get more than one family member on the same page.

Good luck.
      heky
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

oh well I took the plunge and used up the last ofmy credits!!
        It gave the brides fathers name but with the groom it said George McKerrow with Sir Patrick Maxwell...... Guess he was a best man.
        I wanted the grooms mothers name (not asking for much) tried searching for a baptism but couldnt find one.

Comment

Gloryer where did George marry? What was his wifes name?
          With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

What I have is a George McKerrow who died 1857 aged 50 so presumably born 1807. Father George mother unknown on death certificate. I looked for a baptism but couldnt find it.
            He married Isabella Williamson 1835 at St Cuthberts Edinburgh. Says he was from Kirkpatrick Fleming Dunfrieshire. I really need to know his mothers name.
            Isabella's father Joseph Williamson shoemaker in Old fishmarket Close Edinburgh.

Comment

According to the '51 census George Jnr was born at Newmills, Ayrshire, might help you narrow down the search.

Comment

Thank you for that info. However it will take some working out still. If only I could get his mothers name it would certainly narrow it down.

Comment

Some ministers and session clerks used their registers mostly as an accounting tool, to record minimal infomation about the event and list the fees charged in more detail. And if a baptism or marriage was not in a Church of Scotland church it won't appear on ScotlandsPeople at all.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Well, it's going to cost a whole load of credits to try and work that one out, I'd be having a look at every McKerrow cert and trying to work through all of the branches. George Jnr. baptism certainly does not appear to be available on SP.

Comment

I did spend a day at NRH a couple of years ago and went through a lot of the McKerrow details which is how I came to have so many on my tree.

Comment

Have you got a got any possible death certificates of George Mckerrow Snr? Are any of them in the newhills district of Ayrshire?
                        Was George McKerrow Snr. desribed as being deceased on the death reg of George Jnr?

Comment

Working...
                        X