Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed please

Hello all

Im just tying up loose ends and this one has had me baffled for awhile.

William Hodson born 1832 in Atherton Lancs.
    Elizabeth Jones (wife) born 1835 Carnarvoshire Bangor Wales.

William was a Nailmaker by trade and was on all census.

They married in Grt Boughton Chester in 1857.

This is where im confused, William died in Chester 1899.
    I purchased a death cert for a possible Elizabeth Hodson in 1924 (Chester) which stated that she was the widow of William Hodson - Nailmaker.

But her age is really far out, she is down as 69 which would make her born 1854.

I have found her on the 1911 census with her daughter Bella Duckers who is 21.

I have also found another marriage for a William Hodson and Elizabeth Jones in Chester 1875. I have found a William Hodson and Elizabeth on the 1881 census in Chester with the correct age and occupation as my William but his birthplace is down as Chester.
    My William did have siblings born in Chester but he himself was born in Lancs.

What are the odds that there would be two William Hodson's both the same age and the same occupation (Nailmaker) living in Chester who both married an Elizabeth Jones?
    Elder Elizabeth was from Carnarvoshire and the younger Elizabeth was from Montgomeryshire.

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Danny

As you have found two marriages of a William Hodson to an Elizabeth Jones then yes, the odds are that they are two different couples.

It is not beyond the boumds of possibility that one man had two wives who had exactly the same name, either!

The Elizabeth born c1835 would have been pushing it a bit to have given birth in 1890 - she would have been 55 and this is most unlikely.

OC

Comment

I think the best thing for me to do then is on Monday i will got the archives and have a look at the marriage fronm 1875 and if the fathers name is James then i will conclude that it is the same William.
      Hopefully the witnesses should help also.

Danny

Comment

The second marriage should state that he is a widower if it is the same man, of course.

Um...it isn't impossible for two William Hodsons to each have had a (different) father called James!

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          The second marriage should state that he is a widower if it is the same man, of course.

Um...it isn't impossible for two William Hodsons to each have had a (different) father called James!
          That is true, I guess it would be just my luck to take it as gospel and then to find out that that was the case.
          Hopefully the witnesses should provide some concrete evidence to go on.

Danny

Comment

Working...
          X