• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uniform id police year?

hi i have this photo attactched
    its has writen on back
    what looks like

shephards str walk police staiton

i would be very interested if anyone has knowlage of police uniforms and there years i know the police uniform has changed over the century

but what year is this style from

big thanks
    xxsurfxx

Last edited by surfmonkey; 24-01-09, 15:32. Reason: bad link

Hi, I think your police man is from somewhere between 1873 and the early 1900s, this is because he has 8 buttons on his uniform and a belt.

Comment

I'm not an expert on uniforms, but it's interesting that a policeman should have medals, and that together with the clarity of the photo and the hairstyle, leads me to think that it's post WW1. 1920s perhaps??

Comment

I would agree with the period being after the first world war for when this photograph was taken. Pc 513 has four medals up these being (in order),
        Military Medal (instituted 1916)
        either the 1914 Star (instituted 1917) or the 1914-1915 Star (instituted 1918) -both are similar with only the date in the middle of the medal being different.
        The British War Medal (instituted 1919)
        The Victory Medal (instituted 1919).
        My initial thoughts were that this was taken in the early to mid twenties and that he had been wearing his medals as he was on full dress parade (as one would for a visiting dignitary).

don

Comment

Woops! memo to self, do not depend on the police mens buttons.....:o

Comment

early 1900,s brenda xxx

Comment

Where do you think this police station is?

Because there is a police station in Shepherdess Walk just off City Road, it is now called Shoreditch police station.

Edit to say: Its a new building now but I assume there was a station there before.
              Last edited by Guest; 25-01-09, 18:31.

Comment

Working...
              X