Reply from FMP 1911 census re. grandmother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reply from FMP 1911 census re. grandmother

I searched for my grandmother on the 1911 Census but there were no hits for her. Then I searched for her mother. I found her. When I viewed the image, there was my grandmother. I have tried looking for my Gran in other ways - with just a dot for the surname etc.

I reported the fact that she hadn't been transcribed to FMP - I now have a reply (2 weeks later!) :

"Your enquiry has now been resolved. Please find the answer to your enquiry below:

Thank you for contacting 1911census.co.uk.

Unfortunately we are unable to provide assistance on specific searches due to the volume of requests.

Please read our help and support links on the website for further advice."

Not very satisfactory!

I wonder how many other people can't be found because their names weren't transcribed.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

How has that happened then? If mother was transcribed why not all the members of household!

Just a human error!

Comment

Your enquiry has now been resolved.
      That does wind me up!

I've had the same sort of reply to my query about the fact that you have to pay to report an error.

My enquiry certainly had not been resolved; and neither has yours!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ok, Gran was where I would expect her to be, so I found her.

Some of those lost people (those not yet found) could simply be because their names were not transcribed, and you would never know!
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Elizabeth

I am certain this is what has happened to my missing Whittakers. I know their address but I'm ****** if I'm going to trawl a whole street at 30 credits a go to find them - it's a long street!

OC

Comment

OC, how frustrating, especially when you are pretty certain they are there.

When it gets cheaper (i.e. when my FMP subscription gives me unlimited access) I will be able to search to my heart's content without an eye on the cost. Oh, bliss!
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

I could not find my grandmother her surname was transcribed as her step fathers although she and her sisters retained their oringinal surname. I cant find 2 of her sisters so I guess they been transcribed as some one else.
              MIKE

Comment

Originally posted by Bristol Boy View Post
                I could not find my grandmother her surname was transcribed as her step fathers although she and her sisters retained their oringinal surname. I cant find 2 of her sisters so I guess they been transcribed as some one else.
                MIKE
                People often seemed to have had a stepfather's surname attributed to them until they reach their majority &/or get married.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I had the same sort of reply to my query "You case has been resolved" although their email was asking me for more info.

Your reply is not satisfactory at all. Sounds like they are too busy to give any customer service which is not good considering the cost of the service. They should get rid of the 48 hours response time and complete each query properly.
                  Kit

Comment

Has anyone tried searching this way.

Once you have found a probable family member, enter them as the Other Member
                    of the Household, enter the district enumerated and in the
                    surname box enter just a comma (no forename or age) then search

This will find all in the household (or households if theres more than one
                    of your "Other Member of the Household" in the same District) even if under
                    a different surname

Comment

Sue

Yes, tried that and wasted 90 credits!

OC

Comment

I'm another one not happy with their response.
                        I have family I am reserching in Empingham Rutland.
                        Not one of them had their County and district included at the search stage both were blank.:(
                        Fortunately for 1 family they were the only ones in the area with that surname, but the query I sent concerning another family whose surname had been mistranscribed came back with such a standard reply I doubt whether anyone read the query. I found them by using the tip with the character in the surname field just before the wildcard became available.
                        Given what they are charging you want to make sure you have the right person.
                        I have yet to find 3 of my gt uncles.

Comment

Perhaps we should persuade an Admin type here to amend the title of the thread to put inverted commas around the word Reply!

Christine

Comment

I have had two responses from 1911 site regarding two emails. One was reporting a transcription error the other was a general enquiry, two different email addresses I assume.

The first response was to tell me how to report a transcription error! 'It has now been resolved' old chesnut reply. errrr I thought I already had!

The other one was to direct me to the FAQs! On a question that wasn't in the FAQ which is why I emailed them quite clearly stating "have looked at the FAQs"

:(

Comment

Surprisingly a friend of mine got what appears to be a slightly more satisfactory response from 1911:-

Subject: Incident 34074 has now been resolved

> Dear Chris xxxxx,
                              >
                              > Your enquiry has now been resolved. Please find the answer to your enquiry below:
                              >
                              > Dear Chris xxxxx
                              >
                              > We have reviewed the transcription changes that you have reported:
                              >
                              > Record Description: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              > After careful consideration we have decided that an amendment to the
                              > transcription is required.
                              >
                              > The changes have been made and will be implemented on the website shortly.
                              >
                              > We hope you continue to enjoy using 1911census.co.uk
                              >
                              > Kind regards
                              > The 1911 Customer Support Team

I was quite surprised to see that a response like this was given, although I think the incident was a transcription error rather than no transcription at all.

Anne

Comment

Anne

Someone on another site got exactly this email when reporting a transcription error.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post

I've had the same sort of reply to my query about the fact that you have to pay to report an error.

Christine
                                  I reported an error by clicking on the 'report error' button but I didnt think I was charged for it.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                                    I reported an error by clicking on the 'report error' button but I didnt think I was charged for it.
                                    So far as I know, you have to be already in a transcription to report an error?

Christine

Comment

Okay I didn't look at the household transcription I went straight for the image because I knew it was the family I was looking for even with the transcription error.

I reported the trenscription error via the original page report and got an email to explain how to report a transcription error. I sent an email back saying I wasn't going to pay another 10 credits just to report a transcription error and detailed the error in my reponse email.

I got an email back today thanking me for the reported error and saying it will be changed and 20 credits back.

Comment

Good result!! Well done for persisting ;)

Anne

Comment

Working...
                                        X