Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help!!! 1911 census - John walker

Hi,

Been looking for my dads, dad for years. Now 1911 census is out I spent £50 looking at John Walker's I have found someone but not sure if its him.

Heres details of what I am looking for.

John Thomas Walker born 1903 going by marriage cert he has used Lewis and Louie as middle names with Thomas on some certs.

His father is Henry Mark Walker his job was a coal merchant.

we dont have birth date or place of birth...But my dad and sister was born in St Pancras.

My dads mum was born in wales. Its starting to drive me nuts.

please let me know what you guys think, now that 1911 census is out we should be able to find him.

Thanks

Brian

Welcome to FTF.

Do you know when his parents were married?
    Have you found them in 1901 - in which case what was their year and place of birth?
    Elaine

Comment

If it's difficult finding your dad's family by conventional means, you might consider other routes.

The coal merchant might have advertised. Have you looked in directories or telephone books to get an address?

The children would have gone to school. Have you looked in school records at all?

Do you know the names of any siblings? Are there any family photos to suggest at other relatives?

When Ancestry gets up to W, look at Walkers who served in WW1 - that might provide addresses, marriage & birth details.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Were the mother and sisters names any more unusual? What year was the sister born?

Was there an address on the birth certificate from 1903? Not sure if you've already done an address search of the 1911 census.
        Fiona. xx

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for fast reply, we got lots of photos but we dont know names of anyone.
          my dad said he may of had 2 brothers but not 100% sure no names.

I was told about kellys directories and look for coal merchant but with a name like Walker its real hard, its such a common name.

Not sure where to find the school records archive but seems a good idea.

I did find a good match on 1911 census but the father of John Thomas Walker was Henry Arthur Walker But is it possible he dropped the Mark because the oldist son is Henry Mark Walker everything adds up apart from Arthur as middle name.

Hes the 1911 census I am on about. what do you think?

Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 23-01-09, 14:22.

Comment

Sorry, you say you don't have the birth certificate, miss read.

The only marriage I see for a Henry Mark Walker is in Kent to a Kate Read. Of course your Henry may not have used his middle name when he married.

What were the witnesses names on the marriage certificate?
            Fiona. xx

Comment

One thing I would say is that the person who signed the 1911 census page doesn't look to be the same person who actually filled it out.

This could be because the wife/child filled it out for him or the enumerator signed it for him. The pressure and handwriting looks very similar to the bits the enumerator had to fill out

You have all my sympathies - I have Walkers from St Pancras and they've been an absolute nightmare to track down as the father died young and then the mother couldn't stop marrying
              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Brian,
                Have amended your image attachment.
                We are not allowed to post complete images from the census as it violates copyright - have therefore cropped your image.
                Elaine

Comment

Henry Arthur Walker Married Sarah Martha Burgess in St Pancras in 1892.

So it looks as though Henry Arthur was his name.
                  Fiona. xx

Comment

You have the right occupation and a Henry Mark in the family. It looks extremely promising. Even if your photos don't have names, look for family groups all boys, with possibly Elinor or little Winnifred in them.
                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks for reply,

I think its right because the elder son is named Herny Mark Walker? now its normal for fathers to name there son after them selfs, in this case hes named him Mark and not Arthur not sure why? jobs are same there is also 2 brothers and the and area is spot on.

when I do search on 1911 census this is the only one that comes up as the best match spent £50 on search and clicked on every John walker with Henry walker in it and this is best match just got to wait till they finish the wales bit in case he was welsh my dads mum was welsh.

Brian

Comment

Walker

Hiya
                        My little bit
                        Birth
                        Henry Arthur Walker Dec Quarter 1869 Pancras
                        marriage
                        Henry Arthur Walker Dec " 1892 Pancras
                        Sarah Martha Burgess she was born Pancras 1874

Sarah i think is the daug of Mark Burgess born [Cambridge not correct] Swaffham = Norfolk. age 45 yrs 1881 census
                        wife Emma age 37 born Windsor Berks
                        residing 1 York place London
                        Sarah b Pancras aged 6 yrs.
                        Birth: 08 SEP 1874 12 Dames Street,Pancras
                        possible father a horse keeper. So if later Henry is a coalman & still using horses then there you go, thats how he met Sarah.
                        Not down the disco lol.

Henry Arthur Walker
                        born on 05 OCT 1869 at 3 Ferdinand Street, Kentish Town
                        parents James Edward Walker & Mary Ann Moulden
                        marriage 09 MAY 1859 Old Church, Saint Pancras
                        their children bapt Camden Town or St Pancras.
                        I do not see a birth or bapt of Henry Mark Walker.

Right that's my bit.Hope it helps you a bit.

tugman

Comment

James Edward Walker

Hi again
                          James Edward Walker birth 10/05/1827
                          not bapt till
                          08 APR 1832 Christ Church Greyfriars Newgate, London
                          seen this a lot in transcribing records
                          parents Edward & Sophia Ann Walker

;)
                          tugman

Comment

Tugman thanks very much for your help. and thanks to everyone else who has posted, I just hope this is the right family. here is there marriage cert where it says Henry Mark Walker But not Arthur do you think this could be the family I am after? its seems the best match in 1911 census. what do you think tugman.

any possible birth cert for John Walker?

as you can see he used John Louie Walker in this cert and not Thomas

Thanks again

Brian
                            Last edited by Britec; 24-01-09, 00:54.

Comment

Where did the marriage cert come from? Did you order it or has it been in the family for a while?

The age is a bit out for John. He was 10 on the 1911 census, so should be 30 on the cert, although he may have lowered his age as his wife is younger.

When did the father die? If John was young he may not know the middle name and therefore used his brother's name in error.
                              Kit

Comment

Bear with me:
                                from Freebmd
                                Births Sep 1893 Walker Henry Mark Pancras 1b 104
                                Births Jun 1895 Walker James Edward Pancras 1b 10
                                Births Dec 1894 Walker Elizabeth Eleanor Pancras 1b 6
                                Births Dec 1898 Walker George Robert Pancras 1b 97
                                Births Jun 1901 Walker John Thomas Poplar 1c 580 (Prob birth)
                                Births Dec 1903 Walker Winifred Emma Pancras 1b 9

I can't find a death for Elizabeth Eleanor.

Thought if I set it out I might be able to find them in the 1901 but no luck.
                                Kit

Comment

Hi Kit,

Thats the original marriage cert. The family that I found in 1911 census is the best match I could find I spent £50 on searchs and clicked on all of John Walkers with henry in family and thats the best one, no other ones were close to what I was looking for. I dont have a clue of death of Henry Mark Walker.

I have waited so long to find John Walker spent lots of money and still can't find him.
                                  I suppose its hard because I dont know much.

all I have is Marriage and death certs of John Walker and 2 birth certs my dads and his sister.

I would give anything to find him to make my dad happy, he has waited for years and I told him as soon as 1911 census comes out we will find him, and tbh its not that easy.

Thank you all for your help

Brian
                                  Last edited by Britec; 24-01-09, 13:10.

Comment

I wouldn't be too concerned that father is named as Henry Mark on the marriage cert. As he was dead the name must have been supplied from memory. Possible John "knew" his older brother had been named after dad but didn't realise that it was only the first name not both which were passed on.
                                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

so you think that the family I have found in 1911 census is the right one?

Comment

It could be. There is also the possibility he was not home on census night.

If I were you I would play around with the free index and see if you caan find the family with the Dad not home. Failure will give you more certainty you have the right family.

I wouldn't spend any more money until the census becomes a sub on FMP.

I just wish I could find the family on the 1901.
                                        Kit

Comment

Working...
                                        X