Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The only good thing about laryngitis.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only good thing about laryngitis.......

...is that I've been sent home from work & can tend to my tree before the kids get home!

Here goes...

In the 1881 census my great-grandfather (Charles) John Sainsbury, aged 19, is not at home with his parents & younger siblings in Wooton Bassett but with his sister & brother-in-law in Middlesex. RG11/1391

I think the address is South Rd, Southgate, Edmonton, Middlesex, but I don't know that area at all.

Would it have been in London, or on the outskirts?

The head of the house worked for the bank of England. Was this a bank with many branches or was there just one bank of England in London?

Edmonton is not in the centre of London, but is within the M25.

You can see it's location on one of the map sites, like Google Maps.
    Tracy

Comment

Southgate is actually a few miles west of Edmonton, The Edmonton reg disrtict seems to be quite large.

There was only one branch of the bank of England. For a history see Bank of England|About the Bank|History
      Robert

Comment

Thanks Tracey and Robert. I'll have a look.

Comment

I'm more confused now. Edmonton is in London N14 and the bank of England is in Threadneedle St London EC3.

They sound a long way apart. Did people really commute that far in those days?

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
            Edmonton is not in the centre of London, but is within the M25.
            and it is sometimes in the County of Essex
            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Please don't confuse me any more, Rachel!

How can it sometimes be in Middlesex & sometimes in Essex?

Comment

Originally posted by karensainsbury View Post
                Please don't confuse me any more, Rachel!

How can it sometimes be in Middlesex & sometimes in Essex?
                Apologies ... didn't mean to confuse the situation but I'm sure that part of N London has sometimes been included in Essex.
                I've looked at the person in my tree who lived there for a while (1901 census) but it is listed as being in Middx. I have a note that Edmonton is or was on the borders of Middx, Essex and Herts.

Just ignore me ... I do hope you Laryngitis give you one of those wonderfully husky voices
                ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

No such luck Rachel - I just can't talk at all! ( My children will probably think all their birthdays & Christmases have come at once..)

That's one reason I'm on here - at least I can have a cyber-chat!

The most frustrating thing is when I pick the phone up & the person on the other end hangs up cos I can't make enough noise for them to hear me!

Comment

No such luck Rachel - I just can't talk at all! ( My children will probably think all their birthdays & Christmases have come at once..)

That's one reason I'm on here - at least I can have a cyber-chat!

The most frustrating thing is when I pick the phone up & the person on the other end hangs up cos I can't make enough noise for them to hear me!
                    :D That reminds me of one time my mum lost her voice. All she could manage was a high-pitched squeak, which sounded like 'Little Weed' (Flower Pot Men) hilarious when she tried to shout

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                      and it is sometimes in the County of Essex
                      Edmonton was in Middlesex but as a registration district covered a very large area stretching across to Hampstead to the west, Hornsey to the south Cheshunt in Hertfordshire to the North and Waltham Holy Cross (normally known now as Waltham Abbey), Essex in the east.
                      Robert

Comment

There are odd bits of the Bank of England dotted around. One bit used to be in Fleet Street when I worked in that area.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I'm more confused now. Edmonton is in London N14 and the bank of England is in Threadneedle St London EC3.

They sound a long way apart. Did people really commute that far in those days?
                          Having checked the census the address was in New Southgate which would have had a fairly short commute into Kings Cross Station and possibly into Moorgate Station on the edge of the City.
                          Robert

Comment

Edmonton is not N14, it is N9 or N18

Southgate (proper) is N14.

New Southgate is usually N11 & Ally Pally (or Alexandra Palace) & Muswell Hill are N10.

Hornsey is N8, Highgate N6.

Tottenham is N15 & N17 & Wood Green N22.

And yes it really isn't that far from the centre of London, probably about 30 mins max on the train.

Joanie

Comment

Thanks all you London experts.

I can't actually find a South Rd in New Southgate so perhaps it's been flattened, but at least I have some idea of the area we're talking about now.

ps My voice has returned slightly today but I'm sounding rather butch!

Comment

A big chunk of land in New Southgate, alongside the mainline railway, was the STC telephone factory, later Nortel and now probably housing!!
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Ah, thank you John, if he commuted to work by train then that sounds quite likely.

Comment

Many City of London workers commuted. There was a limit on housing in the area plus it was considered vulgar to live "above the shop". The railways in London began arriving in the early 1840s and enabled the development of suburbs, giving the professional classes a house and garden with commuter services to work.
                                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I lived in New Southgate in the late 60s/early 70s and commuted by rail to work in the city every day from New Southgate station.

It was a very easy commute - through train to (what was) Aldersgate and beyond. Can't remember where it terminated now!

It was an utterly impossible journey by other means and took hours although I think there was a bus.

By the time I lived there, New Southgate (aka Friern Barnet) was a bit faded but had vestiges of a fairly posh past - large Victorian houses, nice parks and open spaces etc.

It also housed the huge mental hospital for N London.

I don't remember a South Road, but a lot of the area was redeveloped in the 70s and 8s.

OC

Comment

Thank you for that info Nell & OC. You've given me a really clear picture of what the area was like.

Just one more question - as a clerk at the bank, which sounds a fairly humble position, (no offence intended to any bank clerks on here!) - would he have been able to afford to buy a house in the leafy suburbs?

Comment

Working...
                                        X