Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish Records. Where's the best place to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Records. Where's the best place to start?

I am trying to locate a birth for an Elizabeth Margaret Hall, who I have been verbally told was born in Sep 1911.

I've looked for her birth in England but without success.

I've been told, again verbally, that her parents may have come from Ireland. This is why I'm looking in this direction now.

Her father was called Albert (he was a Railway Signalman). I don't have a name for her mother.

I've also been told that Elizabeth may have had a bother who went to Australia in the 1930s although I have no name or other details for him.

John

Have you tried the Wikki page on FTF to see where you may start with looking for Irish ancestors? For anybody to be able to help, you will need a lot more information than the information you have posted on here. information like North or Southern Ireland Protestant or Catholic etc. Unfortunately a name and Ireland is just not enough for Irish tracing, unless it is a very unusual name. Hall is a very popular name in both Ireland and England. My OH has many in his family tree. The name occurs all over Ireland.

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 23-01-09, 10:42.

Comment

If you have an LDS church Family History Centre near you then you could see if they have the Irish GRO indexes available on microfilm and see if her birth is listed in there, then you will be able to order the birth certificate from the Irish GRO. But I don't know what the chances are of a centre out there having the indexes.

It's always worth trying on Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation

but I had a look and I can't see her on there.

I think if I were you I would go back to the person who gave you the information and ask if they can remember anything else at all. Maybe you will be able to find Albert on the 1911 census, either in England or Ireland (when the full censuses are online).
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Janet & KiteRunner

Unfortunately I don't have much information to start with and it is highly unlikely that I will be able to get any further info from the person I spoke to. If only I knew Elizabeth’s mother's maiden name or even first name that may possibly help. Hall and Albert are very popular names as you say.

I have ordered a few birth certificates in England for this lady but none have been correct that is why I'm thinking more towards Ireland now.

An LDS Church! That is worth a try, thank you. Thank you for the Irish Family History link too.

I've tried looking for Albert Hall on the censuses but there are so many, with the little info I have I can't be certain. I had a look on the 1911 Ireland census for Elizabeth and Albert as well but no luck. I do understand that not all the counties will be available until mid 2009. It is therefore possible I may have more luck down the line.

Thank you for all your suggestions, I'll keep trying.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          If you have an LDS church Family History Centre near you then you could see if they have the Irish GRO indexes available on microfilm and see if her birth is listed in there, then you will be able to order the birth certificate from the Irish GRO. But I don't know what the chances are of a centre out there having the indexes.
          Anything that's been microfilmed by the LDS can be ordered for a minimal charge (€1 in Italy) from any centre. It can take quite a while to get the films, though.

Comment

Thank you for the info Mary. :D

Comment

Well, things have changed since this thread started - the Irish GRO indexes are online now at
              FamilySearch Record Search

but I can't see an Elizabeth Margaret Hall born about 1911 on there.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you ever so much for having a look KiteRunner and thank you for the link as well.

I'm still a little stuck but will keep searching. She must be somewhere! :D

Comment

No Elizabeth Margaret Hall, but there are a couple of matches for Margaret Elizabeth Hall around that date:
                  Belfast registration district, Apr - Jun 1912
                  Kilkenny registration district, Apr - Jun 1911

And one for a Margaret Elizabeth Mary Hall:
                  Rathdrum registration district, Oct - Dec 1913
                  Sarah

Comment

Hi Sarah,

I am reasonably confident that she was born in September as I was told this is when her birthday was celebrated. I won't discount any other month yet though!

I have added your suggestions to my list and will keep them in mind. I will wait a little while though to see if anything else comes along before I start ordering more certificates again.

Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Working...
                    X