So many Fairbrothers in Chester!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So many Fairbrothers in Chester!

One set of my 3xggrandparents were Thomas and Mary Fairbrother in Chester. I found them in 1841 living in Thomas Buildings with their children. In 1851 I found Thomas in the same place and listed as a widower.

There were four possible death records for Mary and I managed to obtain the correct certificate by asking ONS to search them all and send me the one where Mary was listed as the wife of Thomas Fairbrother - sorted!!!

NOW...Thomas died before the 1861 census and there are three possible deaths for him! How can I separate the right one? I know his approximate age. Does anyone think that would be sufficient to sort him? I could make a stab at his address I suppose....

Do you know his occupation? that is often shown on death certs.

Comment

Unfortunately the occupations are 'cowkeeper' and 'farmer' from the census and 'labourer' from Mary's death certificate.

Comment

That need not necessarily be a problem as it will depend what the others of the same name did. If you added an approx age and possible address you might find that's enough to clinch it.
        Is it worth looking to see who the others were in the 1851 census?

Comment

It looks as though Thomas left a will and the date of it is given as 1859. I've ordered wills from Cheshire before and it is an excellent service. If you're lucky it should also say the date of death

They cost £3 plus postage (50p when I ordered mine)

You may also be interested in these

Cheshire County Council - Overleigh Cemetery Home

Cheshire County Council - Freemen of Chester Records Home
          Jackie

Comment

You may be able to find the right death on here because they give ages

Cheshire Births Marriages & Deaths
            Jackie

Comment

Thank you so much for all your help. I will send for the will now and that should solve the problem. It did not occur to me that he would have left a will - and we are always being told that even poor people did so!!!
              I had forgotten completely about the Cheshire BMD site too.:o
              Isn't it funny how one develops 'tunnel vision' sometimes?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley silver surfer View Post
                It did not occur to me that he would have left a will - and we are always being told that even poor people did so!!!
                He might have had an entitlement to land, perhaps.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X