widowed in 1911- but no sign of marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• widowed in 1911- but no sign of marriage

I know it was common for people to tell a little white lie on marriage certs for their ages or fathers occ. but one of my rellies on the 1911 says he is widowed but I can't find a marriage for the area he lived that matches. He is missing from 1881-1911.Thought that if I could find his marriage I could then look up his wife and see if he is just mis-transribed or in prison or away with the army etc! What do you think. I think this is the last time I will be looking for him as I am out of ideas after this.
    Tessie

As people often married in the bride's parish, he could have married miles from his home area.

Comment

thats what I was also thinking, it will be difficult to find out, as it is he is missing for 30 yrs!

Comment

An awful lot of men in the army married women abroad - esp in Ireland and India (plus anywhere else, of course!)

Comment

Even if someone is in prison, surely they should appear on the census somewhere?

But where?

I hadn't thought of this before.

Hugo

Comment

Tessie, what's his name and where was he pre 1881?
            Rose

Comment

James Hatch b 1864 at Woodseats, Derbyshire (and I didn't have to look that up!) He is in Sheffield with parents in 1871 - dad was William, but I've forgotten mum's name.

Comment

LOL I'm guessing you're not psychic Merry!!! Have all the usual searches been done on another thread then?
                Rose

Comment

I suppose there must be a sensible reason why Yorkshire is not listed on freeBMD?
                  Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie Knees View Post
                    I suppose there must be a sensible reason why Yorkshire is not listed on freeBMD?
                    It is listed Rosie, but under North, South and East/West Ridings
                    Elaine

Comment

Well I never! You might guess I have not got any Yorkshire ancestors lol
                      Rose

Comment

That always really anoys me - having to find out which riding a place is in, or having to click all three every time! :(

LOL I'm guessing you're not psychic Merry!!!
                        How very dare you!!!!!! Of course I am! pmsl!!

Comment

You'll know what I'm thinking now then .... :D:D
                          Rose

Comment

*forgets to read last posting*

Comment

Working...
                            X