Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to present Genealogy data on a website?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to present Genealogy data on a website?

Redacted

I think there are various programs you can get to set up a family tree site for you but I should think you would need to download your GEDCOM from GR to load into them. It's easy to download the GEDCOM but there is a problem with some of the downloaded dates on some people's trees at the moment, so you might have to correct them when you have downloaded it (you can edit it in Notepad.)

You will often find that the family tree magazines in the shops have a free disc with a program for putting your tree onto a website.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If your GR tree is pretty up to date and you don't have anything backed up anywhere else then it would be wise to download your tree from GR in GEDCOM file format and save to your pc and to disc/stick or external hard drive. This backup file is important in case you ever have access issues with GR or a security issue with them. You can download your tree from GR via a few mouse clicks and the file is sent to your pc, the tree also remains on GR so you still have the GR facilities available as before.

For starters that will protect you from data loss but anything you add to your GR tree will make the file out of date (it will only contain the information present at the time you downloaded the file, anything added to GR at a later time can be saved by downloading the file again).

One thing it won't do though is give you an easy way to add the information to your site, a GED file is a text file that can be opened in a word processing programme but it won't make much sense, a family tree programme can open the file in a tree format but again that isn't adding the detail to your site.

Ideally you want to link the tree(s) to names though? clicking on a name and then seeing a tree with the immediate family displayed on screen? At the very least having some way to link a name to an easy to understand pictoral tree or family group display?

If that is the case then you would need something a little more advanced, a lot depends on the technical aspects and facilities your site uses and someone with a bit more techy experience than i can suggest.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

The quickest solution is to export your tree from GR (click on "Import/Export Gedcom" at the bottom of the home page) and upload it to Tribal Pages.

GR will send you a gedcom file, which you then save on your computer. You can then upload the gedcom to tribalpages.com, which automatically displays your tree. You can password-protect it, so that only visitors authorised by you can view it. The advantage is that the basic site is free, so your relations don't have to join a pay-site like GR to view the tree, and you don't have the technical problems involved in putting it on your own site.

It's also a good idea to get your own family tree program. PAF is free from familysearch.org, Legacy is also free, I believe, Family Tree Maker just costs a few pounds, and there are lots of others. Some of them, like FTM, enable you to set up a website to display your data in tree form, book form, etc.

Lots of information here:

Family Tree Software - Family Tree Forum

Look at the guides and FAQs at the top of the page.

Comment

I think Penelope is wanting to present the information within her existing site that relates to the tragedy though

Stillingfleet Tragedy

Uploading a ged file straight to the site won't work as the site cannot read the file and display the results. Offering the chance to download the file via the site or by some other means isn't that good either unless the end user has GEDCOM compatible software installed.

The real questions are how to transfer the information directly to the site and what options for displaying the information are available.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Export your genealogical data as a Gedcom from your GR site.
            Import Gedcom to Family History Program
            Using a Family History program such as Brothers Keeper or any one of a number of others compile a Register Report. Save as a RTF file.
            Open this file in a word processor such as Word and add in any extra information or detail any irrelevant details. Add pictures etc save.
            Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Redacted

Comment

As you have your own web space, you might want to consider TNG once you have a GEDCOM sorted out. I use it for the tree part of my site - I am about to update mine to the latest version. Once it is set up you just upload the GEDCOM and the software does the rest. You can use ready made templates or your son could tweak it to match what you already have.

It is The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding for the TNG site and Caroline's Family History Pages - Home for mine - just click on surnames and you will find the TNG section with the tree etc.

Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Downloading your tree from GR as a GED file is the correct starting point.
                  Then, you can either open an account with Tribal Pages (free) and upload it there.

If you wish to actually add to your own webspace, then a program called Ged2Web will take the GED file and create a fully indexed site for you automatically.
                  The site has hyperlinks, index etc all created for you to upload to your space.
                  Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 23-01-09, 00:33.

Researching:
                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

For me the beauty of TNG is that you can see the tree visually as well as the information, it will also pull in all your notes and sources and you can attach pictures, mapping and other media. When you have updated your GEDCOM in whatever software you use, you just upload the new one with no need to change anything. Not free but lots of scope.

Family Historian software (which is brilliant otherwise and would be the one I would recommend) will also produce web pages for you but has the disadvantage of being a pain for updating if you want to customise with links to other information. FH is bringing out a brand new version next month

It all depends what you are aiming at really, and how your site might develop later on but the basic Tribal Pages is free and upgrades wont break the bank...

This Wiki page gives links to most of the possiblities:

Genealogy Applications and Packages - Family Tree Forum
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                    X