Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am currently looking for anyone with the name of Milum in the Reading, UK area.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am currently looking for anyone with the name of Milum in the Reading, UK area.

Hello everyone who reads this.
    I have just had the very good fortune of obtaining the history of my paternal grandmother, Laura Dray, nee Milum. It seems that anyone with the name Milum (spelt that way) living in the UK is related. Although grandmother did not come from Reading originally, it seems that there are or were some Milums living in the Reading area.
    When we first moved into our house in 1957 there was a lady living 5 doors down who had been married to a Milum who was killed on active service in 1944
    I have found a record of him, it was easy, he was the only Milum killed in WW2, but the quality of the PDF document was so poor that I could not read his first name or second intitial.
    The said lady is now long dead and although I knew the Milum children I have now lost touch.
    So if there is anyone who knows a Milum still living in the Reading area in the UK I would love to know.
    Thank you for staying on to the end of that essay.
    Les.

I can't help with living Milums but the one you mentioned above is here

CWGC :: Casualty Details
    Jackie

Comment

Here is his birth registration:

Births Jun 1911
      Milum Leo P Tynemouth 10b 267

You may find other spellings turn out to be related as before the late Victorian period names were often spelled a variety of ways for the same family or even for the same person!

This could well be his father's marriage, given his middle name:

Marriages Sep 1909
      HOPE Robert Tynemouth 10b 486
      MILUM John Parton Tynemouth 10b 486
      WARD Margaret Tynemouth 10b 486
      WILKINS Annie Ellen Tynemouth 10b 486

Comment

I would agree with what Merry says about the spelling of the name. If you are tracing the family forward they will almost certainly all spell it MILUM. However the further back you go the more variations you will find. It is a name ripe for mistranscribing and being spelled differently by vicars and ennumerators.

Anne

Comment

Have you tried your local phone book?

Comment

If you look on BT directory enquiries for Milum in Reading there are no matches. If you try Search for People, Businesses and Maps - 192.com you will see there is one person listed on the electoral roll - I won't post the name up on here.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The Milum ancestors of Leo Milum were born all over the place.

Leo Parton - Tynemouth 1911
              father, John Parton - Faversham, Kent 1882
              grandfather, John - Clyst St Mary, Devon 1848
              great-grandfather, John - Ockley, Surrey 1820

but no connection to Berkshire yet............

Comment

Well, aren't you all a lovely lot? Thank you all very much for your efforts.

Jackie (Night Owl):Yes actually I tried CWGC soon after I posted my request. I suppose it has to be something of a ditinction to be the only one of the family name to be on the casualty list!

Merry Monty: They spread themselves far and wide didn't they. We always understood that they were Tiverton based, which they were at one time of course, but not originally.
                There could of course be navy connections, one in every port!!

Velma: Yes, I had tried the local 'Phone book but to no avail. They are no where near as useful as they used to be are they, now that a lot of people opt out of being in there.

And Kite Runner: Thank you for pointing me to 192.com. That one person on the electoral Role has an unusual name, could well be a grandchild of Leo.

Bless you all.
                Les.
                Last edited by Humpty Dumpty; 23-01-09, 16:19.

Comment

well I`ve just had a shock....with it being an unusual name ,I thought I would go to Genes R to see if there are any on there...340 tree matches....I expected about 20....lol...allan:D...added
                  7 people have Laura b 1864....Tiverton ,Devon(though a couple have her as b 1862...
                  Last edited by garstonite; 24-01-09, 06:31.
                  Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

I wonder what my grandmother would think of being so connected, not a lot is my guess! So, Alan, are you going to tell us a bit more or are you going to leave us guessing?
                    Les.

Comment

Working...
                    X