fingers crossed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fingers crossed

I have searched many times for information on my 2nd great grandfather Alexander McKerrow going of the information my mums cousin has. He was in the Black Watch and served in the Crimean and Indian Mutiny. Born 1835 died 1909. About 4 years ago we had a holiday in Scotland and visited the Blackwatch museum in Perth but they had nothing on him. When he died there was some sort of obituary in the paper with a small photo of hime wearing a medal. Whoever cut out the photo from the paper never cut out any of the writing. I have tried to find which paper this came from but so far have failed.
    A very kind person has just been in touch with me to say she has come across an autograph book belonging to a nurse in Malta. She was a nurse there from 1908 . The following entry is very interesting.

"Alexander Mckerrow
    Crimeanand Indian Mutiny Veteran
    Late Colour sergeant
    90th Light Infantry"

"Military hospital
    Cottonera Malta
    30th 1 1913"

The page has two additional notes in the same hand but in lighter ink.

"Now 2nd Scottish Rifles"

&

"Age present day

79 years 4 months"

Teh McKerrow name isnt very common and for 2 people with the same name serving in the same wars/battles seems highly unlikely. I have not yet seen teh entry but she is going to scan it to me.
    The birth age seems near enough it is just the death age that puts this into doubt. I have a photo of his grave which we visited and it says he died 1909 but this bookis apparently from 1913.

How intriguing! Do let us know what happens!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

this is the said entry. Surely if there were 2 Alexander McKerrow in the crimean and indian mutiny then we would have come across at least one of their records. Its just the date 1913 that makes this seem wrong.

Comment

I found a medal card on Ancestry for a McKerrow for you the first name escapes me. Is this the same man?

Comment

I do have medal card for my grandfather Alistair (Alister) McKerrow from ancestry but I am interested in all the McKerrow clan as I have added many branches. Anyway my brother contacted my mums cousin who is knowledgable on the family history and claims that the autograph belongs to my great great grandfathers cousin.

Comment

ahhh that's the person Alistair - I just couldn't remember the first name.

Comment

gloryer, do you know where he was supposed to have died in 1909?

Comment

I dont know if you knew this already but there's a word document of paper clippings from The People's Journal dated Oct 15, 1927 of an Alexander McKerrow on Ancestry under the Stories section.

Headline "Perth link with florence Nightingale" Subtitled "Unique Career of Col. Sergt Alexander McKerrow"
                Hail Spode!

Comment

Subtitled "Unique Career of Col. Sergt Alexander McKerrow"

*focuses on the word unique* lol

Comment

mine died in Douglas or at least thats where he is buried. I am curious about the article on ancestry (which I dont have access to)

Comment

I can't access the newspaper article as I don't have microsoft word. But the details this other person gives on their tree is that he died on 14th October 1927 in Perth. His d.o.b is the same as you give though!

Comment

I can't open the obit, but this is the info they have on their Alexander McKerrow:

Life and army career of Col. Sergt. Alexander McKerrow
                        15 Oct 1927
                        Perth, Scotland

Alexander McKerrow
                        Birth: 29 Sep 1833
                        Springkell, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, UK
                        Death: 14 Oct 1927
                        Rose Crescent, Perth, Scotland, UK

Parents Peter abt 1781 Banffshire, Scotland and Isobel b 1798

Wife Elizabeth Moore (no details recorded)
                        Children (no details - just names)

Agnes
                        Florence
                        Georgia
                        Lily
                        Maude
                        Lilian
                        and Lilian (1872-1958) m John Linning

Then there's these people on a Malta Family History site: rm

but ontly the last entry ties in with the above.....

Elizabeth Isabella McKERROW, aged 18 years, spinster, the daughter of Alexander McKerrow, Barrack Sergeant, married 9th January 1889 to Robert David TUPPEN, aged 27 years, bachelor, Schoolmaster, the son of David Tuppen

Ethel McKERROW, aged 18 years, died November 1895 in a painful manner due to injuries sustained in an accident. A paraffin lamp fell onto her dress. The daughter of Alexander and Elizabeth McKerrow

Lilian Ann McKERROW, aged 17 years, spinster, living at 194 Strada Stretta, Valletta, the daughter of Barrack Sergeant Alexander McKerrow, married 18th July 1889 to John LINNING, aged 25 years, bachelor, QMS, 1st Battalion, Royal Highlanders, the son of Matthew Linning, Labourer

Comment

Cutting from The Times online digital archive:

Wednesday, Oct 12, 1927; pg. 1; Issue 44710; col A

Deaths
                          On Oct 9 1927 at 27 Rose Crescent, Perth. late No 18603 Colour Sergeant Alexander McKerrow, oldest surviving Crimean and Indian Mutiny veteran of the 90th Light Infantry Cameronians (SR) in his 96th year.

Comment

Thank you for all the info and thank you for the paper cutting. 3 years ago we went to Scotland and visited my mums cousin who has some family heirlooms including a family bible which we never knew anything about. He showed us a photo cut out of a newspaper and we assumed it was our great great grandfather but there was no writing with it and I have been contacting various librarys etc. to see if I could track down the paper that it was in to find what was written. I believe it is the same photo as the one in this newspaper article BUT I was searching for one in the year that our gggrandfather died which was 1909. Well not many papers printed photos until after this date sono wonder I couldnt track it down. We went to the blackwatch museum in Perth but they had no record of ALexander McKerrow and I have tried various avenues but came up with nothing. We even went and saw their house in Crieff and visited some graves.
                            Mums cousin's health is failing rapidly and my brother phoned him yesterday to ask him about the autograph book and he says its our gggrandfathers cousin but I have no record of this one attached to my tree and I do have a huge McKerrow data base as I spent a whole day at NRH gathering info.
                            So I am now totally confused by it all.

Comment

Are Peter and Isobel the parents of your Alexander?

If they are, then either the 1927 death is also your chap, OR the people with the ancestry tree have got the wrong birth for their chap who died in 1927.

I wasn't able to read the obit though, so did that help at all?

Comment

I can not seem to save the obit but it states

He died at the residence of his daughter ,Mrs Linning ,Rose Cresent,Perth
                                Born at Springkell Dumfriesshire 29th September 1833

Comment

No mine is the son of John McKerrow and Jane/Jean Sloan.

This is what John McKerrow was famous for

Wyllie Checkers: John McKerrow

Mine definately died 1909. THe ALexander featured in the article has a father named Peter according to what is on that tree but there are very few Peter McKerrow so its a bit strange I dont have any knowledge of this one. The McKerrow are mostly James, Alexander, George, John and William. Its a blessing when they use the mothers maiden name as a middle name..lol

Comment

It seems to me that it's likely whoever prepared the obit and the death notice in the paper would have given correct info, or at least what was known to them at the time. The death cert for the 1927 chap would have his parents names on it wouldn't it? (being a Scottish cert??)

That would be a way of confirming if he is a different person.

Gloryer, are you sure you have the right baptism/parents for your man, though?

Comment

Gloryer did you mean Douglas Isle of Man for your chap's grave? Have you investigated if there was a death cert for him for 1909?

Comment

nooooooo Douglas Lanarkshire Scotland.

Comment

Working...
                                        X