Women's surname at marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's surname at marriage?

If a woman was married before but marries for a 2nd time, would her name be indexed under her maiden name or her previous married surname?
    Thanks

Joanie

My only experience was that is was her 1st married name. I found her death, ordered the cert and got her maiden name.

HTH

Clare
    Clare

Comment

Would be her previous married surname

there is a chunk of years where you get both and the spouse names next to husband appear as "JONESS or SMITH"
      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Thank you both. I have Louisa Elizabeth Hoyle formerly Wilson "present name Morris" on a Factory & Workshop Act birth certificate filled in 1915 for a birth in 1902.
        On the back it looks like a normal certified copy of birth, showing her name as Louisa Elizabeth Hoyle formerly Wilson but on the other side she has given her name as "presently Morris" I am not sure if she actually remarried between 1911 & 1915 though. I am still looking as nothing is coming up in the BMDs.

Joanie

Comment

The local searchable BMDs often seem to give alternate names for previously-married women.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hallo Joan

If this is a copy of a birth cert, surely it would just give the information on the original cert, not what name people might have at a later date?
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It's a form for the Factory and Workshop Act, Nell, not a birth cert as such, although they were issued by the GRO. The writing on the back will be what has been added on by the employer or the person herself.

The two previous names may be the mother's change of name by marriage - the girl was only 13 when this was issued so unlikely to have already been married (but not impossible)

OC

Comment

That's it OC.

It was a male, he was born in 1902 but I assume he needed a cert to work so his mother must of obtained one through this workshop act?

It's on the reverse, she has told them her name is presently Morris but there is no marriage for a Louisa Hoyle (nee Wilson) to a Morris. Should I also look for a marriage under her maiden name?

Joanie

Comment

Problem is, she may have given either name at remarriage (there were no checks, the registrar just accepted what you told him) or not remarried at all.

*Presently Morris" has a rather scornful ring to it I think - if she had remarried I would have expected it to say "formerly blah blah".

I think you'll have to look under both names for a marriage.

OC

Comment

Hi Joan, we had Grandma who remarried after her first husband died in WW1. On the second marriage cert they asked for her maiden name and that is what she gave them.
                    I can see though, that some people would give their previous married name as opposed to maiden name, so it would be worth checking both.

Comment

She could just have been calling herself Morris without actually being married to Mr Morris?
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Wilson-Hoyle-Morris

Hiya
                        If she had a son in 1902 then she born about 1875-1884
                        As you don't say where abouts.
                        Births Jun 1875
                        Wilson Louisa Elizabeth Greenwich 1d 788
                        Births Dec 1881
                        WILSON Louisa Elizabeth Aston 6d 404
                        Births Mar 1882
                        Wilson Louisa Elizabeth Wetherby 9a 119

Right then she is Louisa Elizabeth Wilson born 1882 & married
                        Marriages Dec 1901
                        Hoyle Charles Joshua Wetherby 9a 227
                        Wilson Louisa Elizabeth Wetherby 9a 227
                        their son
                        Births Dec 1902
                        HOYLE Charles Joseph Wetherby 9a 118

right solved your problem.
                        Marriages Jun 1911
                        Hoyle Lucy E Wetherby 9a 257
                        Morris Thomas Wetherby 9a 257

clerk wrote Lucy E instead of Louisa E
                        You could order this cert to confirm my thoughts.

Next the only deaths found all counties
                        Deaths Jun 1909
                        HOYLE Charles 34 Paddington 1a 36
                        Deaths Mar 1911
                        Hoyle Charles 53 Rochdale 8e 51

In 1911 she is at home with son & Elizabeth Nilson [that i think should be Wilson] maybe her mother

HOUSEHOLD HOYLE CHARLES M 1903 8 Wetherby Yorkshire West Riding
                        HOUSEHOLD NILSON ELIZABETH F 1840 71 Wetherby Yorkshire West Riding

Right got to go. Hope that helps a bit.

tugman

Comment

Hope you don't mind Joan but I have a similar problem with a woman in my family....

In 1859 I have her son's birth cert... she is down as Jane Hingley formerlly Stoddart.

On a marriage cert in 1881 she is down as Jane Stoddart, ..widow...father's name James Stott.

as I can't find any marriage to a Hingley or a Stoddart... am I right to assume she was a Stott..... just because she has her father down as Stott.

Jean
                          Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Originally posted by Jean and Tonic View Post
                            Hope you don't mind Joan but I have a similar problem with a woman in my family....

In 1859 I have her son's birth cert... she is down as Jane Hingley formerlly Stoddart.

On a marriage cert in 1881 she is down as Jane Stoddart, ..widow...father's name James Stott.

as I can't find any marriage to a Hingley or a Stoddart... am I right to assume she was a Stott..... just because she has her father down as Stott.

Jean
                            Hi Jean

No I don't mind at all! The more the merrier, lol! I don't know what the answer is, I always thought formerly related to their maiden name, but now I am not so sure. I thought that they had to put on a marriage cert all previous names they were known by.

Then there is the fact that lots of them just assumed their partner's surname & didn't marry them, they told little porkies to the Registrar lol!

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by tugman View Post
                              Hiya
                              If she had a son in 1902 then she born about 1875-1884
                              As you don't say where abouts.
                              Births Jun 1875
                              Wilson Louisa Elizabeth Greenwich 1d 788
                              Births Dec 1881
                              WILSON Louisa Elizabeth Aston 6d 404
                              Births Mar 1882
                              Wilson Louisa Elizabeth Wetherby 9a 119

Right then she is Louisa Elizabeth Wilson born 1882 & married
                              Marriages Dec 1901
                              Hoyle Charles Joshua Wetherby 9a 227
                              Wilson Louisa Elizabeth Wetherby 9a 227
                              their son
                              Births Dec 1902
                              HOYLE Charles Joseph Wetherby 9a 118

right solved your problem.
                              Marriages Jun 1911
                              Hoyle Lucy E Wetherby 9a 257
                              Morris Thomas Wetherby 9a 257

clerk wrote Lucy E instead of Louisa E
                              You could order this cert to confirm my thoughts.

Next the only deaths found all counties
                              Deaths Jun 1909
                              HOYLE Charles 34 Paddington 1a 36
                              Deaths Mar 1911
                              Hoyle Charles 53 Rochdale 8e 51

In 1911 she is at home with son & Elizabeth Nilson [that i think should be Wilson] maybe her mother

HOUSEHOLD HOYLE CHARLES M 1903 8 Wetherby Yorkshire West Riding
                              HOUSEHOLD NILSON ELIZABETH F 1840 71 Wetherby Yorkshire West Riding

Right got to go. Hope that helps a bit.

tugman
                              Hi Tugman

She was the one born in the Wetherby area in 1882.

Yes that is their marriage in 1901, Wetherby.

And yes that is her, living with her son b 1902 & her mother Elizabeth Wilson. I have the image for that. Louisa describes herself as married.

Those deaths for Charles don't tally with the age on the marriage cert, but I did order one for a Charles that died in 1914 aged 42 in Hammersmith so that one fitted perfectly. Unfortunately he died of TB in Hammersmith Infirmary so no relative informed of the death, so no clues there!

The alternative is that he may have gone abroad & died there.

The marriage between Thomas Morris & Lucy E Wilson is interesting, because I have a an ancestor who was born Louisa who was transcribed as Lucy on a census, so that is possible. I will definitely have a look into that one.

Thank you

Joanie

Comment

Hiya
                                No trouble
                                All helps break down the family tree.

tugman

Comment

Hi Tugman

Thanks for having a look. I have found a Lucy Ellen Hoyle living in Todmorden on the 1901 census, so I suppose it could have been her, although Wetherby is a bit further east she could have married over there.

I don't know if it makes a difference but by 1915 she was living in Hertfordshire, but I think I was told there was a rumour she met the Morris chap up north before defecting south lol!

Joanie

Comment

Working...
                                  X