Middle names query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle names query

I have 7 windows open in Ancestry trying to trace this chap & I am tearing my hair out, lol!

Charles Joshua Hoyle married on 4th Dec 1901, aged 29 on the cert, father "Hoyle" deceased, no first name!

By 1911 he had left his wife (or she him) and as I don't know where he was born, I can't track him. He must have been Yorks or Lancs but I am not familiar with that part of England at all. Address at marriage was "Boston Spa" he says he was a publican, although on his son's birth cert he was a cotton weaver

The only Charles Joshua Hoyle I can find in BMD is b Huddersfield 1865 so that's too old.

I have found a baptism in Clitheroe in 1872, which would fit nicely. I am presently trying to track this Joshua forward in the 1881 etc, to see if he doesn't marry until 1901. Parents Charles & Margaret Hoyle.

My question is could he have been given his middle name Joshua at confirmation in the church so it would be possible for him to have been born, registered & baptized plain Charles Hoyle?

Joanie

Wonder if it is just Hoyle and no first name because there was no father??

If his mum was single she may be married by 1881 and Charles could be under his step fathers name.

Who are the witnesses on the marriage certificate?
    Fiona. xx

Comment

Hi Fiona

That had crossed my mind. He married a Louisa Elizabeth Wilson, she was aged 19, the witnesses were her half sister Eliza Thornton & her brother Joseph Wilson. They were married in the Parish church by banns.

I am trying to trace the Lancashire Charles Hoyle forwards but he just disappears. No trace on 1891 or 1901. I wonder if he went abroad? I don't suppose you have access to the US/Canada passenger lists do you?

Thanks!

Joanie

Comment

So the witnesses are no help at all then.

Yes I do have access to the passenger lists, i'll take a look for him.
        Fiona. xx

Comment

There's a Charles J Hoyle abt 1872, left Liverpool and arrived Montreal Quebec, Canada 2 Nov 1912. but he has a wife Elizabeth with him. And he's a Machinist.
          Fiona. xx

Comment

Can't see any other Charles' born around the right time.
            Fiona. xx

Comment

Ooooo Fiona! I wonder.......rumour has it Louisa left him & she is living with her mother & their son (also Charles lol) on 1911 census. It says she is married.

Strange thing is the son also went to Canada for no apparent reason around 1925 I think it was! I wonder if that one is the right one? Maybe he re-married by 1912?

There are 2 Charles J Hoyles on the passenger lists, is the other one b. 1903 approx?
              Thanks!

Joanie

Comment

Did that Charles J Hoyle & his wife have any children with them, & if so do you know how old they were?

Thanks!

Joanie

Comment

Hi Joan, sorry had to go and fetch the daughter from school.

Right, there are no children with Charles and Elizabeth and the other Charles was born 1903 and arrived Halifax, Nova Scotia 8th Mar 1929 and left from Southampton.
                  Fiona. xx

Comment

Don't forget that, if you know which ship/sailing to look for, the Canadian Archives have images of the incoming passenger lists online. They aren't indexed by name, though, so you have to trawl.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Fiona I have replied to you.

Thanks Christine, where would I be able to check the actual ships list?

Joanie

Comment

Here's my link:
                        Introduction - Passenger Lists, 1865-1922 - Library and Archives Canada

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine will have a look when I am no longer cross eyed, lol!!

:D

Joanie

Comment

Working...
                          X