Shall I write him off??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shall I write him off??

I am trying to trace some elusive rellies still!
    James Hatch was born in 1864 in Sheffield, Yorkshire. I have him with his parents and siblings on the 71 census. They then both died within months of each other in 1880. In the 81 census he is a pauper in the Sheffield Union Workhouse. After that I cannot find him! Can anyone look on the 91 census for Sheffield Union Workhouse as I can't seem to work out how to search by address! I have trawled the deaths index from 1881-1891 but there are no deaths for a James that would match his age. I have also been on IGI nd freeBMD with no luck. Could he have changed his name or emigrated?
    Thanks for all your help so far!!
    Tessie x

Find the parish and district in the 1881 and then check the same district in the 1891, unless the district boundary moved it should remain in the same district, if you can't locate it there try the adjacent district.

There is an illustrated guide to searching for a parish in the wiki

Finding images from a particular parish - Family Tree Forum

If there doesn't appear to be a death recorded that suggests that there isn't one, at leastnot based on the details (age, district etc) you are basing the search upon.

Another useful wiki article shows different search methods for finding missing rellies in the census, it shows through screenshots using a real search how changing the search criteria can dramatically affect the results;

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 20-01-09, 21:58.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks I have tried that but when I look on the 1881 it says page 1 but it does not give an enumeration district as it is a form for institutions. There is also no rd/street name so I can't look for that either! Sorry if I am being a pain! Its just sooooooooo frustrating! Thanks anyway maybe I will leave him for a while and try to find the rest of my elusive rellies!
      Tessie x

Comment

Assuming you are using Ancestry look at the top of the census image, you will see something along the lines of

you are here; 1881 Census, England, Yorkshire, Sheffield........

Click on the "Sheffield" and the districts will be listed, there may be a separate listing for the workhouse, possibly giving the name instead of an ED number

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

thank you just gonna trawl through 51 pages now looking for his name! Thanks again for your help!
          Tessie x

Comment

That's the downside but look on the brightside, (Brightside, Sheffield:D) before the internet you had to trawl through every page of every district and hope you had the right town!!!

If he is in the workhouse there is every chance his name is mistranscribed (or possibly just wrong in the index), at least the trawl will either locate him or show he wasn't there so you will gain something one way or the other.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I should think it is quite likely that as he had grown up, he left the workhouse and got a job?
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Are you sure he was born in Yorkshire?

I know Sheffield is on the boarder, but his 1871 entry says Woodseats Derbyshire.

When I look at the 1911 census I found this entry when I put Woodseats, Derbyshire as the place of birth:

HOUSEHOLD HATCH JAMES b 1865 aged 46 residing at Sheffield Yorkshire West Riding
                Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 21-01-09, 09:50.

Comment

He seems to be a boarder in a household called Lee. No other Hatchs with him.

Comment

merry he was born in derby (confused with all the other other children being born in yorkshire)! Can't find him as I said above and hadn't got to the 1911 yet! That sounds like him (thank you) but I would still like to find him in 91 and 01 census'. Will just have to keep looking now thst I know he hadn't died!

Comment

I wonder if he was out of the country? If he was in the army abroad in 1891/1901 then you won't find him on the census.

Comment

do you know how I can find that out?

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                          Are you sure he was born in Yorkshire?

I know Sheffield is on the boarder, but his 1871 entry says Woodseats Derbyshire.

When I look at the 1911 census I found this entry when I put Woodseats, Derbyshire as the place of birth:

HOUSEHOLD HATCH JAMES b 1865 aged 46 residing at Sheffield Yorkshire West Riding
                          Woodseats is now regarded as part of Sheffield - just to confuse things!

as for absence in 1901, the obvious would be the Boer War, though at his age I wouldn't have thought he would volunteer, and its not likely he would have been called up.

there are some names on the find my past site but I dont know how complete it is. My gt grandfather was stationed on Malta during this period & did get the medal but never actually went to S Africa itself.
                          I think I've also come across a free listing elsewhere (I'll try to find it to post)
                          Vicky

Comment

try this

Roll of Honour - Databases - Boer War Events by Persons Name - Search
                            Vicky

Comment

thanks for the link but he is not there!

Comment

I have been looking for Kevin Asplin - his original site on AOL has been removed - I've managed to track him here

The Asplin Military History Resources

[this site is in the WIKI]

there are loads of useful databases here, worth a punt I think, though as I said earlier, I doubt he'd be off at war given his age.
                                Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 21-01-09, 19:54.
                                Vicky

Comment

Working...
                                X