Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1881: Two Alfred Austwicks... which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1881: Two Alfred Austwicks... which one?

Redacted
    Last edited by Penelope; 20-01-09, 14:40.

I think it's a great shame the census didn't ask your height

Comment

lol Merry - was thinking the same - although it says six feet five inches in one of the newspaper reports! :D
      Elaine

Comment

Sarah is a widow with 5 children in 1891 so my guess is her husband was the policeman who was murdered.
        Moggie

Comment

Aggggghhhh!

It's taken me 10 minutes to open a post to say what was the 1891 situation and how many with the same name died between the censuses?

Comment

The other one is still a policeman in 1901. I wonder how he felt if he read the newspaper report?

Comment

Don't know if this helps at all

GENUKI: South Milford Burials 1847 to 1979

It says that Alfred who was murdered aged 30 was the son of John Austwick, Lumby

However there is a 1901 census for Alfred Austwick born Heck who is a police constable so it looks as though both Alfreds were in the police

1901 RG13 piece 4305 folio 49 page 5
              Jackie

Comment

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Tuesday, October 19, 1886; Issue 15142

The widow was given £59 19s 2d from the Police Superannuation fund.

Comment

There are about 20 articles about this in the Gale Newspaper collection - quite a few come up if you just use Austwick as the search - but none of them as far as I can see mention the widow's name! :(
                  Elaine

Comment

Redacted
                    Last edited by Penelope; 20-01-09, 16:19.

Comment

If your Sarah was a widow in 1891 and the other chap was still alive in 1901 then surely it must be your Sarah who was married to the murdered man?

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Working...
                        X