Adobe Reader help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Reader help please

I have/had Adobe on my PC and could always download pdf files without a problem.
    Now, when I try to download them it tells me they are done, but all I get is a blank screen. I tried to download Adobe Reader again, but I get this error message.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\...\ {18DF081C-4283-A596-FA578C:-EBDC3}

Can anyone tell me what, if anything, I can do please - short of chucking it out of the window :D
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Have you got a CD with it on at all that you could try? And have you uninstalled Adobe Acrobat Reader before trying to install it?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I haven't got a CD, I think I just downloaded it originally. I tried to uninstall it and got a similar error message - which I forgot to copy down before I closed it so I can't say exactly what it said!

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Googling that message looks as though it's something to do with the Windows Registry, which is way beyond me. Hopefully someone who is more of an expert can help!
        KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks Kite. I googled too - then got worried and thought I'd ask on here :D

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I think there are other free PDF readers you can get - maybe worth downloading one of them while you're waiting for a solution to the adobe problem?
            KiteRunner

Comment

I googled the error message too lol but couldn't find anything helpful.

Foxit seemed to be one of the most frequently recommended alternatives.

Foxit Reader - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
              Gillian
              User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

If you right/click on a link for an acrobat document you can save it on your computer and then open it.

Linda
                LindaG

Comment

Thanks Gillian, I just downloaded Foxit. I have now been able to download & print my recording sheet for the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch - which was how I found out my Adobe wouldn't work!

Linda
                  I tried right clicking & saving, but it still wouldn't work on the RSPB one. Maybe if I tried a different link it would work though. I'll try another download from a different site and see what happens. Thankyou for the suggestion.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Glad you wanted the reader for such a good cause Sue ;)
                    Gillian
                    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Hey,

Try going to Start > Control Panel > Add and remove programs.

Find "adobe Reader" and uninstall.

Once this has completed go to adobe web site and download the latest version.

This will fix the problem (I work with software! )
                      Regards
                      Mattchew! :D

Comment

Bulmanm is correct, as the message
                        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\...\ {18DF081C-4283-A596-FA578C:-EBDC3}
                        is refering to a command the program was following to locate something it needs to run.
                        It seems that this has been corrupted, so uninstalling then reinstalling should repair the problem.

Researching:
                        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
                        X