struggling to find...george montgomery county fermanagh ireland 1818

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• struggling to find...george montgomery county fermanagh ireland 1818

ive been struggling to find anything on george montgomery and his wife elizabeth (clements)i have details of their children and know they moved to blantrye scotland.But cant seem to find out the names of their parents and siblings in ireland....

Familysearch (IGI) has a submitted entry which states his parents were John and Mary and he was born c1814. Not much to go on but might help.

Sorry should have welcomed you to FTF.
    Hope you enjoy it here.
    Last edited by WendyPusey; 20-01-09, 08:52. Reason: added welcome.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Any chance that either of them died after the start of Scottish civil registration (1855)? If so then their death certificates should tell you their parents' names.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

And if by a miracle any of the Scottish events was during 1855 itself, there's a huge amount of information on the certificates.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

hello everyone,
          thanks for the replys,well iv found out that georges wife was elizabeth montgomery as her father was william montgomery,so im startign to get somewhere....

Comment

If that's what it says on her death certificate then I should add that the names on death certs aren't always correct, because it depends on whether the person who registered the death knew the right names!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Welcome to FTF.

There is quite a lot on Irish Research in the Wikki on here so a good idea to look at that for further help on anything Irish! In the meantime a couple of very basic questions.

What religion? RC or Protestant?

IF RC Try checking Genuki Fermanagh to see when church records START for Fermanagh as many do not even start BEFORE 1820 so looking for information 1818 maybe a non starter!

If Protestant then try Belfast PRONI. Their ecatalogue is now online and searchable for possible Parish records.

Welcome to the PRONI website | Public Record Office of Northern Ireland

Click on ecatalogue for further information.

All RC records BEFORE 1864 are still with Catholic Churches all over Ireland BUT microfilm copies are in the National Library of Dublin and at PRONI Belfast.

All Protestant records BEFORE 1850ish are in the National Archives Dublin and Belfast PRONI.

Please remember that many records were lost during the Civil war in 1922 in Dublin and MOST of the records that were lost were the protestant records, so although in theory Protestant records go back to the 1600's in practice it is not easy to find them.

The IGI in Ireland accounts for about 25% of parish records. However the Scottish IGI is very good.

The Family History Foundation consists mainly of the Heritage Centre Records which were done by the unemployed Irish of the 1970's and never completed.

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 21-01-09, 19:11.

Comment

Just searched through the PRONI site as many people who have ancestors in Northern Ireland are missing out by not using this wonderful ecatalogue.
                I certainly wish there was something like this for Southern Ireland! I am quite envious!

Just found the following information on the ecatalogue.

"conditions of the early seventeenth century, private planters such as Hamilton, Montgomery and others were able to take over most of the lands...the surrender of lands belonging to the see of Derry from George Montgomery, Bishop of Derry, Raphoe and Clogher to James I, August, 1610...

The name Montgomery is worth checking out as the planters were Protestants and there may well be more on them. Clements also seem to be a prominent name on the site.

Janet

Comment

Have you looked on Ulster Ancestry, a very good site for anyone with ancestors of either denomination, but particularly for info about protestant settlement.

Comment

hi again.....
                    i will be checking these sites suggested.i have now found out that elizabeths paretns were,william montgomery(1785)and catherine scott(1785)so elizabeth wa a montgomery and not clements..
                    thanks again for all the help.x

Comment

*waits for Merry to run in* lol :D

Welcome to FTF PS1
                      Rosi

We are the famous CFC

Comment

just thought id add that ive now found georges father was charles montgomery 1790 from ireland and his mother was mary(no maiden name)1795.

Comment

Well done. One more step along the road.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                          X