Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Ancestor's

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips on tracing London ancestor’s around the turn of the eighteenth/nineteenth century.

I am looking for the Tatham family. James Thomas Tatham was christened on the 9th November 1801 at St Martin in the Fields, Westminster. He was the son of James and Martha. - This is all I have on the family.

Any tips/help would be much appreciated,

Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Tippin, on the IGI there is a possible marriage:

James Tattam
    Martha Potterton
    11 Jun 1797
    Saint Luke Old Street Finsbury London
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

You must have more, in order to have James' name in the first place! Have you got him on censuses? Are you wanting to trace backwards?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi,

Sorry I should have made my first post clearer. Now that I look again, I do not even know what I am after!

I am looking for information reguarding James Snr and Martha. I do have the 1841 (at Albion Buildings, London - a Currier) / 61 (at Walsall, Staffords - a Currier) / 71 census (at Wellington, Shrops - a Currier) returnes for James Jnr, but they do not realy give anythink away reguarding his ancestry. The IGI also has James Jnr's marriage - he is recorded as James Thomas Patham. He married Ellen Turley at Claines in Worcestershire. Date 22 oct 1832. I also have his death cert, but all that tells me is that he died after having his leg amputated.

In reguards to the IGI marriage between James Tattum and Martha Potterton. Could the name Tatham be mistaken for Tattum? I thought that Tattum was its own name.

Thanks,
        Tippin
        Families Intrested in
        Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

Tattum and Tatham could certainly be variants of the same name. FamilySearch treats them as such.

Other baptisms to James and Martha on the IGI:
          Martha Tattam baptised 6 Dec 1797 St Botolph without Aldgate
          James Tattam baptised 24 Nov 1799 St Botolph without Aldgate
          (Then your James Thomas Tatham born 1 Oct 1801, baptised 9 Nov 1801 St James in the Fields, Westminster)
          Sarah Rebekah Tatem baptised 4 Jul 1802 St Mary Whitechapel, Stepney

I doubt that James Thomas and Sarah Rebekah could both belong to the same family as Sarah's baptism is just 9 months after James Thomas's birth, though of course there could be a mistake on the IGI.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Findmypast has a James Tatum burial listed in its City of London burials database born 1768, died 1834. It might be worth viewing the entry to see if it could be James senior.

The James and Martha who got married in 1797 are quite likely to be the parents of Martha who was baptised 1797, which would mean they were most likely also the parents of James baptised 1799, so you need to find out whether that James died before the baptism of James Thomas as they are unlikely to have named another child James when the first one was still alive. Of course it is not impossible. But if the first James didn't die young then it could be that we need to find a different marriage for your James' parents.
            KiteRunner

Comment

There is a very useful book called Lists of Londoners which suggests various finding aids. One of the challenges is the fact that people don't stay where they are put!

Apprenticeships records, poor law material & wills are the sorts of records that can be interesting in themselves and suggest new areas of research.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thanks all for the help!

It seems to me that there is a James & Martha Tattum at the same time as my James & Martha Tatham.

It will certainly need some sorting out. Where would I go to view the records for London?

I will also try and find a copy of Lists of Londoners. I have no idea of what to do when it comes to tracing my London roots!

Thanks again,
                Tippin
                Families Intrested in

Comment

Most London records are held at the London Metropolitan Archives. Ancestry are currently working on putting them online.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Great, Thanks all!

Tippin
                    Families Intrested in

Comment

Hiya
                      FreeReg Middlesex
                      Transcribers are transcribing St Martin-in-the-fields but are only into the 1600's at this time.
                      tugman

Comment

City of London parish records are at the Guildhall Library. They are being refurbished this year so do check before you plan a trip.

St Martin in the Fields records would be in Westminster Archives.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                        X