Driving train on census night!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving train on census night!

If a relative was a train driver, and was driving overnight on census night - how would they be recorded in the census?

I hadn't thought of that. That could be why I'm having trouble finding my G-g-father. He didn't drive trains, but he was a guard... perhaps - if he hadn't been dismissed by then.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I know that my greatgrandfather was a train driver - and he was not at home on the night of the 1911 census, but he did fill in the census form. I have not been able to find him anywhere on the census yet - I know that some areas are not on yet but just wondered....

Comment

There isn't a definitve answer as technically the enumerator was supposed to record the details of those persons resident overnight on census night at each premises within his district. Sometimes it simply records persons present at the time the enumerator called and a person then went elsewhere and ended up recorded for a second time.

A train isn't really "premises", i have a master mariner at sea for the '71 census, his wife is recorded as married but head of house, her occupation is "wife of Capt Hay, at sea".
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I know that the census related to the night of April 4th - but do you know when the form had to be filled in? When did the enumerator call?

Comment

LizP

It says on the census form:

Every person blah blah who

(1 )passed the night of Sunday 2nd April 1911 in this dwelling and was alive at midnight

(2) arrived in this dwelling in the morning of April 3rd, not having been enumerated anywhere else.

OC

Comment

Some "top link" train crew would be staying overnight in railway-owned lodgings. There were big railway hostels at Kings Cross and other main London termini.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
              X