workhouse birth 1898

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• workhouse birth 1898

would it be usual for an unmarried girl - aged 16 - to have her baby in the workhouse? She is described as a "Pit Brow Woman". I can only think she was in the workhouse for her confinement, not because she was homeless & penniless.

The baby in question was brought up by her grandmother, so its not as though she'd disowned her wayward daughter...
    Vicky

My grandmother had 3 illigitimate children all born in our local workhouse. She registered the birth of the first from her family home 2 weeks later. I think a number of workhouses also doubled up as "hospitals" providing a basic medical service to the poor. In addition, if she wasn't working then she wasn't bringing in an income so it may have been the only way to exist for the confinement.
    Helen
    Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

In addition to what Helen says, there is always the scenario that the pregnant daughter is cast out, only for granny to relent once she sees the baby!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        In addition to what Helen says, there is always the scenario that the pregnant daughter is cast out, only for granny to relent once she sees the baby!

OC
        LOL

well, in this instance granny had also had an illegitimate daughter... and she herself was illegitimate.
        come to think of it, its a definite theme with this particular line :D
        Vicky

Comment

Workhouse birth 1861

Although not in my direct line the grand-mother of a distant cousin was born (illegitimate) in the Workhouse at Chertsey Surrey in 1860. Both mother and daughter were still there for the census in 1861.

Comment

Hi,

My Great Grandmother had three illegitimate daughters in the work house, in the hospital part. And then went home to her family on the other side of town. I bought the Overseers Papers for the Work house and found out the father of the first one and that he was adjudged the Father and ordered to pay lying in costs and maintenance.
            So if the Overseers papers are available it could be very helpful,

Comment

Working...
            X