What is the best way to go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to go.

I want to do some research on my Natural grandmother...but don't know which is the best way to go.

AS I am adopted you understand I cannot ask for information as my natural family know nothing about me...(except my grandmother)

I know she was born in 1914...give or take a year in Launceston Tasmania.....and died on 24/10/1993.

Can a person look on ancestry with just a Christian name as her name is VERY distinctive.

I know her married surname...but not his christian name.

Would I be able to get her death certificate...considering by law I am not family?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes you can look without a surname.

As for the death cert what country is it?

Do you want to PM me the details and I'll have a look.
    Kit

Comment

I am happy to put the information on here.

Her name is Rillas May....first husband is Roach....second husband West..possibly Frederick.

It is Launceston Tasmania Australia.

Am I doing something wrong then with Ancestry....when Iput in her details without a surname it says it can't find anything because too few details....or is it that there is just nothing on her?

Comment

There may be nothing on her. I'll have a look but what are you hoping to find?

There isn't BMD info for australia on ancestry, to my knowledge anyway.
        Kit

Comment

Can't find anything just by searching her first name alone, sorry.
          Kit

Comment

That is what I thought.

I was hoping to find here maiden name so I could search from there.

Comment

Isn't there a tas bmd? coulodn't you search there?
              Kit

Comment

The online archives here only goes up to 1900 unfortunatley.

Comment

Sorry had to go before. I found the same thing.

I haven't look at the website properly though. Is there anyway you could order a cert after that date?

I notice you say ' here'. If you live in Tassie could you go in person to the office and make enquiries? Or ring and find out?
                  Kit

Comment

When you buy a certificate here I think it has to be 30 years after a death unless you are family so I am not sure if I would be allowed.

Your right...I will go and ask...no harm in that.

Thanks for looking for me.

Comment

When you buy a certificate here I think it has to be 30 years after a death unless you are family

When you say "here" do you mean in the UK?

I bought my grandmother's death cert a couple of weeks ago from the GRO. I did know her date of death already, but didn't quote it, just ordered it in the usual fashion. I didn't give my relationship to the dec'd. I have the cert now and she died in 1985, so less than 30 years ago.

Comment

No Merry he live in Australia.

Flashie can you prove you are related? I'm not sure if an adopted person would qualify though.

I know in NSW you can get a death cert less than 30 yrs if the next of kin (or relative mentioned on the death cert ie spouse, children) give the ok.
                        Kit

Comment

I have my adoption certificate that says my natural mothers name was West...but nothing more.

Ruth

Comment

Could you find her death notice in the paper? That might give you an idea of her husband/s.

Not sure if I should ask this but how do you know she is your grandma?

I'm not trying to pry but wondering if it might lead to other avenues.
                            Kit

Comment

When I was looking for my natural mother (before you could access your birth records in Tasmania) I wrote to all the people who were still living at the sames houses in the year I was born.

My grandmother was one of them...and she made contact with me.

I will check out the death notices at the archives when I have a weeks holidays coming up.

In the mean time I will browse the census records on ancestry...as I doubt there are too many with her christian names.

Thanks....Ruth

Comment

Working...
                              X