Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I find a marriage c1829 in Harrow/Hendon area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I find a marriage c1829 in Harrow/Hendon area?

Brick wall time.

William Franklin, born c1806 in Pinner married a mary Ann (unknown surname)
    Found them on 1851 census in Harrowweald with children Joseph and William.

The mary died c1853 and he remarried to Sarah 1855
    need to get the marriage cert to find her name (BMD Hendon Mar 3a 73).

What I'm trying to find out is who the Mary was and where would the registers/records I could look at be for that area.

I want to continue tracing back the Franklins, but need to have a starting point

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

I looked on freebmd and it looks like Sarah's last name was Brocknell.

The marriage was 1855 Islington which covers Middlesex and i googled and Hendon is in Middlesex.

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

Originally posted by quiffdo View Post

The marriage was 1855 Islington which covers Middlesex and i googled and Hendon is in Middlesex.

Danny
      Thanks for the lead Danny
      Problem I have is that Franklin is Sooooooooooooo common!

The one you found could be a match, but My William was always in Hendon reg district, as he lived in Harrow.
      His wife originally came from Ivenhoe in Bucks
      The 'assumed' BMD in 1855 for a William I found in Hendon on Free BMD, does not have a Sarah as a possible match.
      So looks like two certs to sort that one out.
      but still need to sort out this Mary and be able to go backwards in the tree.

Online sources now exhausted, so need advice on where the records for Harrow would be.

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Heres a few from Boyds marriage index.

1826 / Frankling William / Prime Mary A / Harrow / Middlesex

1825 / Franklin William / Tickner Mary / Hampton / Middlesex

1824/ FRANKLIN WM / CLUBB MARY/ EALING /MIDDLESEX

Could possibily be the first one.

Comment

Just so we have the info from the 1851 to hand:
          William Franklin Head Mar 45 Agricultural Labourer Middlesex Pinner
          Mary do Wife Mar 40 Do Finchley
          Joseph Do Son U 20 Apprentice Do Harrow
          William Do Son U 18 Agricultural Labourer Do Do

Since you give her name as Mary Ann, presumably you got that from either the children's baptisms or the 1841 census?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Looking at FreeBMD and FamilySearch, the marriage that you found Mar 1855 Hendon district is William Franklin and Margaret Robjent Boosey, at Great Stanmore.
            KiteRunner

Comment

The 1841 census, transcribed on ancestry as Frankham:

Hamlet of Weald, Harrow:
              William Franklin 35 Ag Lab Y
              Mary do 35 Y
              Joseph Do 9 Y
              William Do 6 Y
              John Do 4 Y
              KiteRunner

Comment

Oh, I see that in 1861, your William is in Great Stanmore. With wife Sarah age 51 born Ivinghoe, Bucks, and daughter Julia age 5 born Harrow. If you can get Julia's birth certificate it should help quite a bit. I'll just see if I can spot her birth registration...
                Julia Franklin birth Mar 1856 Hendon 3a 85.

Seems a coincidence if the one marrying in Great Stanmore isn't your William, doesn't it? I wonder if Margaret died betweeen 1855 and 1861 and he then married a third time? No, I see there is a death for Margaret Robjent Franklin age 85 in 1890, Watford district, so that rules that theory out! And indeed there is a William Franklin in Great Stanmore in 1861 with wife Margaret.
                Last edited by KiteRunner; 19-01-09, 11:09.
                KiteRunner

Comment

According to GENUKI, the Harrow parish registers are held at London Metropolitan Archives.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                    Brick wall time.

William Franklin, born c1806 in Pinner married a mary Ann (unknown surname)
                    Found them on 1851 census in Harrowweald with children Joseph and William.

The mary died c1853 and he remarried to Sarah 1855
                    need to get the marriage cert to find her name (BMD Hendon Mar 3a 73).

What I'm trying to find out is who the Mary was and where would the registers/records I could look at be for that area.

I want to continue tracing back the Franklins, but need to have a starting point
                    If one of the boys were born after 3rd q 1837 then one of their B/certs would give Mary Anns MN?
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Joseph and William were definitely born before 1837, and I can't see a birth reg for John so I would guess he was born before the start of civil reg. too.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Joseph born abt 1831 and William junior in abt 1833. No baptism on IGI.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                          Just so we have the info from the 1851 to hand:
                          William Franklin Head Mar 45 Agricultural Labourer Middlesex Pinner
                          Mary do Wife Mar 40 Do Finchley
                          Joseph Do Son U 20 Apprentice Do Harrow
                          William Do Son U 18 Agricultural Labourer Do Do

Since you give her name as Mary Ann, presumably you got that from either the children's baptisms or the 1841 census?
                          on the 1841 census:
                          Harrow on the Hill

William Franklin 35 Ag Lab
                          Mary 35
                          Joseph 9
                          William 6
                          John 4

It was my grandfather (passed away in 2004), who told me it was a Mary Ann., but I have no documented proof, though on BMD is:
                          Deaths Sep 1853 Hendon 3a 49
                          Franklin Mary Ann I have not purchased the certificate, but as William remarried in 1855 to 'Sarah' as shown on the 1861 census it a certanty.
                          Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 19-01-09, 23:36.

Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                            Looking at FreeBMD and FamilySearch, the marriage that you found Mar 1855 Hendon district is William Franklin and Margaret Robjent Boosey, at Great Stanmore.
                            On 1861 there is William aged 55 born Pinner labourer ag with wife Sarah aged 51 born Ivinghoe, Bucks and daughter Julia aged 5 born Harrow at Old Church Lane, Great Stanmore
                            Hence looking for a marriage for William c1855 (dau age)

How have you proved it was to Margaret (I assume Ancestry, which is more accurate than BMD)?
                            Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 19-01-09, 23:44.

Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              If one of the boys were born after 3rd q 1837 then one of their B/certs would give Mary Anns MN?
                              That's the problem, all born prior to this date.

Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by quiffdo View Post

Danny
                                Had an idea following Danny's lead.

As William married Sarah in 1855, she should be on the 1851 under her maiden name (Brocknell)
                                From 1861 we know 'sarah' was born c1810 in Ivinghoe, Bucks

Can anyone see if they can find her on 1851??
                                If there is a match, it would prove Danny has the right lead for me.
                                Though IGI has no Brocknells in the Bucks area at all.
                                Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 20-01-09, 00:01.

Researching:

Comment

Trevor, the marriage to Margaret is on FamilySearch, as I said in my post. The entry on FamilySearch is taken from the church register rather than from the GRO index, so it tells you who married whom rather than a list of possible spouses. So you can rule out that 1855 marriage in Hendon district.

I did try looking on the 1851 at Sarahs born in Ivinghoe but there were a few possibles. I doubt if your William would have got married in Islington.

I would say your next move is to get the Julia Franklin birth certificate to see who was the mother - Mary or Sarah. It will also give you the mother's maiden name so then at least you will have one marriage to look for knowing the bride's name.
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                  X