I've been thinking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been thinking...

After being stuck for some time now and going around and around in circles trying to find out when exactly my gg grandfather was born and what exactly hsi parents names were and where he lived I think I should go back to my uncle and ask him to tell me as much as he possibly can. He won't know any of that but he could give me some clues. Am going to write to my aunty as well and see if she knows anything or has any pics. MIght tak a dictaphone with me.

Good idea. Any information, even if it's a bit mangled, is better than nothing. A good trick to kick-start the memory of a rellie who claims to have forgotten everything is to start off with "I think X was born/married/died at Y" when you know that Y is wrong. It's surprising what they do remember when you say something they know is wrong.

And don't contradict anything, and try not to take notes, which can also be off-putting.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Of course, it is always a good idea to ask relatives for information. But even if he can't help you, I think if you get that navy record from TNA it might help - it only costs £3.50 or something, doesn't it? You do have a rough idea of when and where he was born from the censuses, after all. Or have you got the navy record by now?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I used a dictaphone when I spoke to my grandfather just before he passed on
        Really glad, as I can still refer back to things he told me about the family that, at the time, were not matching up with what I had on record

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

No I haven't got it yet Kite...but my uncle might know a lot about his time in the navy anyway as grandad John used to tell him stories about it all when my uncle was a boy. He lived until the forties you see.

Comment

Working...
          X