Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth having a possible/probable 1911 typos list ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth having a possible/probable 1911 typos list ...

while we wait for them to work out a way of reporting them without having to pay for a transcription or image to have enough info for them?

I'll add my so-far collection in a separate Reply. They might be useful for someone - either in themselves, or as ideas for possible mistranscriptions of people they're looking for.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

:D

Do you mean like my OH's grandmother being listed as Silly, instead of Lily?

or mine great uncle' child being Willy and listed as a daughter instead of Nellie!
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

All of these would bear checking, I think:

HOUSEHOLD BENNETT AHRLES ARTHUR M 1886 25 Burton upon Trent Staffordshire
      HOUSEHOLD BENNETT EMIELY F 1885 26 Dudley Staffordshire
      HOUSEHOLD BENNETT MARY CURTINE F 1885 26 Lichfield Staffordshire
      HOUSEHOLD BENNETT RICHRAD M 1888 23 Stoke upon Trent Staffordshire
      HOUSEHOLD BENNETT LEOANRD GEORGE M 1908 3 Aston Warwickshire
      HOUSEHOLD BENNETT STEPEN M 1870 41 Aston Warwickshire
      HOUSEHOLD BENNETT BURT LOE M 1893 18 Wolverhampton Staffordshire
      HOUSEHOLD BENNETT ELIYA F 1864 47 Wolverhampton Staffordshire
      HOUSEHOLD BENNETT DORTHEY ISABELLA F 1905 6 Aston Warwickshire
      Edwin Gwendoline Wotton BUCKPITT - should be - Edith Gwendoline Wotton BUCKPITT (Bridport, Dorset)

INSTITUTION CARTWIRGT WILLIAM 1800 1911 Strand London
      HOUSEHOLD CLEWER AURTHER M 1897 14 Aston Warwickshire (possibly not a mistranscription - this name is often presented with unexpected spellings)
      HOUSEHOLD CLEWER JENY F 1861 50 Solihull Warwickshire
      HOUSEHOLD COTTON MALCOLN M 1895 16 Louth Lincolnshire

INSTITUTION ELLIOT GIBBERT 1800 1911 Strand London

Eiley Amy GAYTON - should be - Eiley May GAYTON (Fareham, Hants) née CHRISTMAS, b Queensferry, Scotland
      INSTITUTION GLIFFORD WILLIAM W 1800 1911 Strand London

HOUSEHOLD HARDING FREDERIMCK M 1867 44 Hampstead London
      HOUSEHOLD HOCKIN GELFREEY WILLIAM M 1868 43 Bideford Devonshire
      HOUSEHOLD HOCKIN SUSANAN F 1869 42 Bideford Devonshire
      Tred HORNE - should be - Fred HORNE (age 6 Willesden) - This is a guess, but worth checking, I believe.
      HOUSEHOLD HUISH CHARLES HENRY CHAPMON M 1898 13 Plymouth Devonshire (mmn= Chapman)

INSTITUTION KEMP IICHARLES 1800 1911 Strand London
      INSTITUTION KINGSTON FREAK 1800 1911 Strand London

Chas Edward Albert LANCASTER - should be - Cha(rle)s Edwin Albert LANCASTER (Swindon, Wilts, RG14 pn11807 RG78 pn651 rd240 sd2 ed41 sn66)

Fred SCURTOCK - should be - Fred SCURLOCK (Coleshill, Warks RG14pn18394 RG78pn1105 rd386 sd1 ed4 sn2) see GRO-Birth 1904q2 Meriden 6d-473
      INSTITUTION SMITH FRABNK 1800 1911 Strand London

Annie Boay WOODLEY - should be - Annie Bray WOODLEY (Maidenhead, Berks)

and at least one JHON - in Watford, Herts
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-01-09, 21:43.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

They all seem such basic errors don't you think? I know they did it in a hury, but.......

There were several comments in the paper yesterday, and I suppose it does seem churlish to criticise, but as I say it does make you wonder when it comes to ordinary christian names.
        Dorothy G

Comment

my Gt Grandfather listed as FEMALE
          I paid for a transcript of the entry, to find only his name on the transcript listed as WIFE and still female and the other members were not even listed at the addres and I know that they were there at the time.

Put it forward as a query to the 1911 census team and heard nothing

FRANKLIN, ARTHUR CHARLES WIFE MARRIED F 51 BRICKLAYER HARROW MIDDLESEX

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
            my Gt Grandfather listed as FEMALE
            I paid for a transcript of the entry, to find only his name on the transcript listed as WIFE and still female and the other members were not even listed at the addres and I know that they were there at the time.

Put it forward as a query to the 1911 census team and heard nothing

FRANKLIN, ARTHUR CHARLES WIFE MARRIED F 51 BRICKLAYER HARROW MIDDLESEX
            The cunning trick is to put his name as another person at the house and then put a full stop in the surname. In fact you only get other FRANKLINs on this occasion:
            Annie - 20
            Arthur (x2) - 48 and 17
            Sarah Ann - 50

But you'd perhaps done that, and that's how you knew they should have shown in the transcription?

Christine

Comment

Dorothy

Why do you think it is churlish to criticise?

Until very recently, everyone who had a BT phone received a telephone directory FREE OF CHARGE and I don't remember that ever being the subject of moans about mistranscription.

If BT could achieve 99% - 100% accuracy, I don't see why we shouldn't expect the same for something we have to pay for.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                INSTITUTION KEMP IICHARLES 1800 1911 Strand London
                Actually, this might be an asylum - perhaps he was claiming to be Charles II? And wasn't there a historical Kemp (from another century or so earlier) who did foment a rebellion? Henry VIII time?

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Dorothy

Why do you think it is churlish to criticise?

Until very recently, everyone who had a BT phone received a telephone directory FREE OF CHARGE and I don't remember that ever being the subject of moans about mistranscription.

If BT could achieve 99% - 100% accuracy, I don't see why we shouldn't expect the same for something we have to pay for.

OC
                  :D Well, I thought others may frown on us criticising, but you have a point OC, between us we've spent - or mis-spent, a lot of money to date, chasing up false leads :(
                  Dorothy G

Comment

Working...
                  X