No announcement yet.

Electoral Rolls - available 1924-1936??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electoral Rolls - available 1924-1936??

Does anyone know if there are electoral rolls available for these years?

I would like to know who my GGgrandmother was living with when she died in 1936 - hopefully there will be a few names I recognise.
    Her name was Clara Ann Weston and she was living at 8 Barclay Street, Leicester.

Also, I may have found two possibles for the death for my GGgrandfather in 1924 (8 Aylestone Street, Leicester) or 1926 (??Burton, Nottingham - this is where I found him on the 1911) Don't know if they give ages, but he was born in 1855 - the 1926 death would be spot on for him being 70.

Yes, electoral rolls have been around since there have been elections. The Leicestershire records office and the Leicestershire county library service should have copies. I have found that if you give an exact year and address libraries are happy to do a look up for free. Bear in mind that the roll will just give names. It won't tell you how (or if) all the adults eligible to vote at the same address are related, or if they are lodgers, nor will it give ages, though they would have to be over 21 to vote.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell.

Right now I'm just looking for names - I should be able to figure out if they are related or not (maybe daughter's families or sibling's families).

Do you know if the records are available online? It would be slightly longer than a day trip for me to come over there!!

Comment

They are not online but as suggested above if you contact the library and give the address and year they should be able to check for you, my preference is the library over the records office when possible for electoral roll searches simply because the archives charge for the service and the library is either free or charge a nonminal (much smaller) fee.

Links and contact info can be found in the wiki

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 18-01-09, 17:06.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Email works well, I've found.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Glen and Nell.

Comment

Working...