Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• birth not registered - any reasons

Hi

Is there any reason a birth would not be registed - Im trying to find the birth of one of my dads brothers - family members say and there are some disagreements that he was first born and they knew he died young and some can remember fetching "goats milk" for him. My grandparents got married in 1918 - Ive searched birth records and found all my other uncles apart from this one Joseph Congreve

Any ideas where to look next

thanks

Have you looked under his mother's maiden names - maybe he was born before his parents were married.
    Have you found his death?
    Elaine

Comment

The registration could have taken place but not appear on the GRO index, it isn't unknown for a record to go missing en route from the local registrar to the GRO, or for the record to get lost during the compilation of the GRO index.

Sometimes a child may be registered but at the time no name had been decided hence the entries you may sometimes see with the forename as "male" or "female".

There is a chance the surname may be mistranscribed on the GRO index too, or possibly entered nder the maiden name of the mother, although rare there is always a small chance due to the GRO index being compiled as a result of transcribing onformation several times.

I would suggest getting in touch with the register office that covers the area where you believe the birth took place, ask them to search their register, quote the name, approximate date (or year) and the names of the parents and see if anything is recorded. They should be able to supply the certificate for the usual £7 fee.

A list of register offices and contact details can be found in our wiki, just select the relevant country and from the country page select the county you need;

World Index Page - Family Tree Forum
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

hi
        Thanks for that.

My grandparents got married in 1918 so have seached from 1916 under my grandma's name and nothing found

My Eldest Uncle I knew was born in 1920 so I hve searched from 1918 right through to 1938 looking for Joseph.

One of my uncles thinks joseph may of die at birth or shortley after - would this mean he wasnt registered - my other uncles disagree and say he wasnt first born and lived a while -

Its causing a few "heated" discussions so think i will concentrate on the ones that were born pre 1900 hrs ;)

Comment

If a child drew but one breath, it would be registered. The fact that people remember "fetching goat's milk" for the baby, means that he lived and would therefore be registered. It isn't IMPOSSIBLE that he wasn't registered, but very unlikely.

Have you looked for a death? That might help to fix a birth.

Also, the disagreement between your relatives...could there be more than one child who did not survive? Possibly with the same name.

OC

Comment

thank you

I found him -

Birth 1923 Oct.Nov,Dec

Death 1923 oct. Nov Dec

off to send for the certs now -

meant he was 2nd born - that will surprise some ;)

thanks again

Comment

I've got 2 of these oddities in one family. The man my great aunt Louisa married was never registered and neither was his brother. All the others were though. The ladies at Wrexham office did a through check for me but they are not there.

Comment

Working...
              X