1911 free at kew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 free at kew

I know this was mentioned before but it was unclear if it were true or not. Apparently you can book an hour for free if you have a readers licence. This has just been posted on one of my mailing lists.

From TNA website The National Archives | The Catalogue | Research Guides

"The 1911 census is accessible on dedicated machines only at The National Archives. Each terminal is available for a maximum of one hour and must be booked onsite prior to use. There is a dedicated 1911 booking point near the main ground floor entrance."
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Not much use when you live in NZ!!! LOL!!

Comment

I may be wrong, but I don't think you even need a reader's ticket to use the public terminals downstairs. Readers' tickets are required if you want to go to the document reading rooms.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Whilst it is true to say that you do not need a readers ticket any more to access the public terminals, and that you only need a readers ticket to research in the research rooms upstairs at TNA, it may be that to limit too many people trying to use the 1911 Census at this present time, that you may need a readers ticket to access, so I would advise a check before you go.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 18-01-09, 13:28.

Comment

It's easy enough to get a readers ticket. Just make sure you have the correct forms of Id with you.
            Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

I think it's a brilliant idea that we can view for free at The National
              Archives, but how many terminals are there ?

Clare
              Last edited by littlemoo; 19-01-09, 16:22.

Comment

I think it's around 60. I had no 50 on Saturday but there were more!
                The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thank you,Ann!

I decided to do housework on Saturday. Now word is out, I suspect it'll be a little while before it'll be worth going.
                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

It was OK on Saturday. I got there at about 10 and could have had my hour straight away, but chose 11. Perhaps later on it was busier.
                    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X