Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have parish records and still don't know....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have parish records and still don't know....

where your rellies were buried?

For some years I been trying to find out where a rellie was buried. I have found parish records in Essex for burials of ancestors or their siblings but not known of the church they are buried in.

On the parish record it states who the ceremony was performed by. I suggest you google their name and the parish they were in and you are very likely to find out where your rellies were buried.
    Last edited by Fi & Lilly; 17-01-09, 20:02.
    Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

But surely if its a parish record it says which parish it is?

Anne

Comment

It states the parish, but i think there are several churches in the parish
      Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

But if the records are for the parish church, then that is where they are buried.

If it was in another church, not the parish church, it would say so.

OC

Comment

If its a small or medium sized place then a parish wll just have the one parish church; possibly larger urban parishes may have a daughter church or chapel of ease but usually they don't have burials in their churchyards so the burial will most likely have taken place at the parish church
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

My g-g-grandparents are recorded in the burial registers of St Something-or-other in Twickenham, but they are not buried there as the churchyard was closed in the 1860's (from memory) and they died during the following 30 years. I have not found them in the local cemetery either!

Comment

does in the parish of... mean at the parish church? and what was the parish church?
              Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

I've found burial records for rellies at a church, with its own churchyard, but then found their graves in the town cemetery
                Lynn

Comment

Fi

The parish church is the principal church in a specific area that acts as the religious and administrative centre for the C of E in that area.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Fi & Lilly View Post
                    does in the parish of... mean at the parish church? and what was the parish church?
                    Yes it means at the parish church. I don't quite understand the second part of your question? The parish church is the church which is used by the people of that parish for worship. It will be dedicated to a particular saint eg in the Parish of Heybridge Essex where i live the church is dedicated to Saint Andrew, so the full name of the parish would be Heybridge St Andrew, or St Andrew's Heybridge

Comment

Blow me down - I found my GG grandfather's (plus second wife and three small children) memorial inscription in Aveley, Essex. It was the only church listed on the Thurrock site ... I had looked before many years ago but it was quite new - thank's Fi.

Have added it to The Wiki
                      Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Lyn, once church graveyards became full, council cemetaries took over. In our parish the funerals continued to be held in the parish church, then the coffins were taken to the cemetary for burial. The last burials in the church register are those from before the churchyard was full and after this the funeral service is recorded in our church service book but the burial is listed in the council cemetary register. Could it be that the cemetary you mention was actual owned by the church rather than the council?

Comment

JudithM
                          Are the church service books available to view, or maybe filmed for local Record Office?

I have always been puzzled not to have found an entry for my grandfather's burial, when viewing the parish church records for that year.
                          I know when and where he died and when he was buried. I know from cemetery burial records that the vicar took the service... This was 1956.

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                            Lyn, once church graveyards became full, council cemetaries took over. In our parish the funerals continued to be held in the parish church, then the coffins were taken to the cemetary for burial. The last burials in the church register are those from before the churchyard was full and after this the funeral service is recorded in our church service book but the burial is listed in the council cemetary register. Could it be that the cemetary you mention was actual owned by the church rather than the council?
                            No, I am fairly sure that the cemetery is a council one & also that the church's graveyard was still open for a long time after these burials.
                            Lynn

Comment

"in the parish of" doesn't necessarily mean the PARISH church, or indeed any church at all.

It is just the ecclesiastical description of an area. My local parish has two churches, one is the Parish church and the other is a sister church which was originally a parish church, but two parishes were combined into one at some point.

However, these two churches shared one burial ground (still do), which isn't attached to either church geographically, and was the only burial ground for the whole town, so the Methodys, the Quakers, the Catholics and even a few Jews are buried in there.

OC

Comment

When visiting a council cemetary found some of OH's rellies that had died way before cemetary was opened so they must have been moved from the churchyard for some reason.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

If the funeral of a person was carried out at a church but that church didn't do burials or was full, my local church is a prime example, then the burial is in the records of that church. I know that because I have seen it for quite recent relatives.

If say, they were then taken to the local cemetery or crematorium the burial/ cremation would also be in their records.

Just because the names are in the burial register doesn't mean they are buried in the churchyard, especially since the arrival of local authority cemeteries and crematoriums.

I suppose the thing to enquire about is a plan of the churchyard. They do exist and then you would be able to find out if the person was buried there.

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                                    When visiting a council cemetary found some of OH's rellies that had died way before cemetary was opened so they must have been moved from the churchyard for some reason.
                                    JBee

Burton's parish church, St Modwens, had most of its churchyard given over to a garden of rememberance for the 1939-1945 war. The graves were opened and bodies removed. I suppose to the local cemetery. They were very old graves. All of the grave stones are arranged around the edge of the rememberence garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                      "in the parish of" doesn't necessarily mean the PARISH church, or indeed any church at all.

It is just the ecclesiastical description of an area. My local parish has two churches, one is the Parish church and the other is a sister church which was originally a parish church, but two parishes were combined into one at some point.

However, these two churches shared one burial ground (still do), which isn't attached to either church geographically, and was the only burial ground for the whole town, so the Methodys, the Quakers, the Catholics and even a few Jews are buried in there.

OC

I agree OC but as Fi said she had "found parish records in Essex for burials" I assumed the words "the parish of" appeared in those registers and in that case they would mean the parish church.

I'm interested that others have found burials recorded in church burial register even though the burial took place in council cemetary. In my own parish and other registers I've seen the burial register stops when the churchyard was closed but it seems this wasn't always so.
                                      Gwyn - the books recording church services may well still be in the church - I don't think there is the same requirement to lodge them in archives as there is for registers and in any case the one which would list your grandfathers funeral is relatively recent.

Comment

The place I referred to was Barton upon Humber. The 2 churches were St Mary's & St Peter's. the burial records at St Mary's finish in 1857 as there was no more room in their graveyard & all burials were transferred to St Peter's. St Peter's closed in 1971 & I would imagine any burial records would be at St mary's even though the actual burials would have had to have been at the council cemetery. The burial's I was referring to came from the 1870's.
                                        Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                        X