Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you order certs for.....

all your direct ancestors siblings?

I have exhausted my direct line ancestors re certs so was thinking I would collect the certs for their siblings.

Do you do this or just follow them through the census's?
    Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Apart from direct ancestors, I tend to send for certs if I think they will solve a problem or prove interesting. For example, I have quite a few young deaths - some of which were accidents and had newspaper reports of the inquests. The newspaper reports were quite easy to find because of the exact date noted on the cert.

Others have been for gathering info on one particular interesting great uncle.

I wouldn't want to pay out for certs for just random people and think census evidence is sufficient in many cases.

Anne

Comment

I told myself at the start I would buy all the certs for my direct line, which I have nearly done. 10 to go on the list of o/s ones and three or four where I know they died, but are called John Smith or similar so I'm not sure which cert to go for. Then there's a couple of lines where there could be more direct ancestors who lived after 1837, but I don't yet know who they are. Maybe 20 in total then.

I have and will only buy certs for other people either because I'm curious about something or because the cert will help to solve a problem.

Generally I have therefore not bought certs for siblings and I'm just looking to see how many certs I have.......................

Ooh dear - 346! lol

Comment

Same here, I only order them if there is something in particular I want to find out.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh my goodness Merry !!!!!, 346X£7= oh, I daren't write it, its loads and loads...Lilly, oh by the way lol, I only order certs if I need to confirm or find something out. 346, can't believe that....oh my goodness lol
          Last edited by Lilly the flower; 17-01-09, 18:25.

Comment

346 certs surely cant be just for direct ancestors unless people gave birth early in years.

How many surnames are you researching?

What do you call direct ancestors? Is it your parents surnames (ie including mothers surname) which would mean you were researching 2 surnames.

Father's surname
            Mother's surname (prior to marriage)

or do you research

Grandfather's surname (on both parents lines)
            and Grandmother's surname (prior to marriage)

etc etc going back as far as you can
            Last edited by Fi & Lilly; 17-01-09, 18:39.
            Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
              I have and will only buy certs for other people either because I'm curious about something or because the cert will help to solve a problem.

Merry must have been curious about a lot of things!
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Just what I was thinking. Saying that I am interested in finding out loads of things. If you dont order marriage certs you dont know who they married. If you dont order birth certs you dont know their parents.

Just because they are listed on the census as brother and sister doesnt mean they actually have the same parents.

If you dont order death certs you dont know what they died of and this could have some affect on your own health. For instance there could be a history (of many years) of a certain cancer.

It could be that children died young and it would tell you what diseases or health issues were around at that point in time.
                Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Comment

I do tend to go off on a tangent sometimes when buying certs :o but they are always blood rellies who I buy them for.

I do tend to get a bit side tracked sometimes and will buy death certificates more than births or marriages, as I find those to be more unique and interesting.

Marriages - if I can get to the records office and can look through the parish church records it is great because I can make a transcript for free, and if I do want a paper copy I can get one for less than 50p.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

oh dear , my collection for direct ancestors is paltry.

Of my 8 gt-gdparents, two were married & born in Ireland. Only 5 of the remaining 6 had birth registrations. Only 5 sets of gt-gt parents married after the introduction of Eng & Wales civil reg.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I'm still trying to find death cert for my gt x 2 grandfather William Williams! Have nearly got all direct ancestors. I have only ordered non-direct rellies to answer specific queries.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

What are you lot?? Statisticians????!!! lol

To answer various questions........

The certs I'm talking about are for the tree of my children, so me and my ancestors plus OH and his.

I have not paid for all 346! Many I have got from other researchers and quite a few have filtered through to me from my family.......

I count direct ancestors as those without whom I wouldn't be here, so two parents, four grandparents, eight g-grandparents etc

Quite a few of my direct ancestors have quite a few certs, of the top of my head at least 9 of our direct ancestors have married twice since civil reg began so they have four certs each, birth, death and two marriages. I quick tot up of direct certs only for me gives:

Births 15
                        Marriages 24
                        Deaths 51

and for OH:

Births 11
                        Marriages 11
                        Deaths 26

So that lot totals up to 138

Looking in my files shows 27 original certs dated between 1849 and 1924 - these are nearly all included in the 138 above though.

I have about 120 that have come from other researchers, so they are mostly for sidelines for my tree.

So altogether I've paid for about 110 direct line certs and about 70 to solve difficulties or out of curiosity!

Comment

Starting with my parents, I can identify 35 pairs of direct ancestors. Each pair of ancestors requires 5 certificates - 2 birth, 2 death, 1 marriage, so that is 175 certificates.

Add in the first/second marriages and that takes me to well over 200 certs just for my direct ancestors. I think I have most of them, just a few unidentifiable, or too early for civil registration.

But sometimes I have had to creep up round the side of them and get a sibling's cert to get at some facts. This is especially easy to do on Scotland's People, lol and I have a number of sibling certs, most of which have helped in the chase.

OC

Comment

Are you sure OC?

I only have seven pairs of ancestors before I run out of people born this side of 1837!!

Comment

Yes Merry, I'm sure! Most of my 3 x GGPs (but not all!) were born before 1837 but made up for this inconvenience by getting married a lot, some of them three times.

I don't have all the birth certs for "other spouses" but I do have a few because they are related to me in other ways (cousins etc).

OC

Comment

I thought I had a lot, mostly direct line but just counted & compared to Merry & OC I've a tiny collection.
                                Death---- 40
                                Marriage--19
                                Birth------29
                                Plus some wrong ones.

Not a lot when you look at it but I just calculated how much in cash.
                                Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Fi if you have the money go for it. I think most people limit the numbers due to the cost.

I've paid for direct ancestors mainly and the odd problem that I can't work out by census and freebmd etc. I've got more details by transcribing parish registers and I have a lot of them as it was free and easy to find.

If I had unlimited resources I'd order a lot more.
                                  Kit

Comment

parents 1 marriage, 2 birth, 2 death = 5
                                    grandparents 2 marriage, 4 birth, 4 death =10
                                    great grandparents 5 marriage (one gt grandfather married twice) 4 birth ( the other 4 births were not registered, though I do have copies of baptism entries) 8 death = 17
                                    2x gt grandparents 7 marriage (two were pre 1837 but one married twice) 16 deaths (all born pre 1837) =23
                                    3x gt grandparents 23 deaths (all others died pre 1837)
                                    4x gt grand parents 4 deaths
                                    5x gt grandparents 1 death
                                    = 83 direct line certificates

I've also bought about 50 certs for siblings of my direct line- some in the days when the census wasn't searchable online so it made sense to buy a birth cert for a sibling born near a census year to pin down a possible address, the rest to answer puzzles about relatives or to track down familes of my great uncles and aunts. This has helped make several contacts with second cousins who are now swapping info with me.

A few of my certificates are originals and a few more passed on by contacts, also the first ones I bought cost a lot less than £7, think it was about £4.50 when I started.
                                    Last edited by JudithM; 18-01-09, 09:47.
                                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I am still trying to find the death of my greatgrandfather nearkly 7 years after starting doing my tree plenty in the same name but he fibbed about his age a good few times I don't where he died not where the family were all living as I had a search done at the local office so I have now given up. I have bought lots of certificates lost count

Margaret

Comment

Yes Merry, I'm sure! Most of my 3 x GGPs (but not all!) were born before 1837
                                        That will be why your numbers are higher then, as I don't have any 2x GGPs born after 1837, never mind 3x!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X