Visitors and Boarders in 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitors and Boarders in 1911

I just wondered what the difference was between the two.

I've hunted on the site and can't find anything.

I assume a boarder is someone who pays rent But what exactly was a visitor?

Thanks
    Joan died in July 2020.

I would have thought that a visitor was just someone staying awhile - where as a boarder its their permanent home.

I do have a visitor who stayed over 2 census's and when he died was listed as an acquaintance - even though he was the father of her child:o:o

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

LOL, JBee :D - and thanks.

I was wondering about this because I found a household with 5 visitors, none of whom seem to be related to the household - maybe they were having a house party ! :D
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

They could be relatives of neighbours or friends as people didn't seem to stay in lodging houses or the equivalent B & B's and people were much more obliging for people to stay even if they didn't have much room.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

whenever I see "visitors" on the census I always think of Poirot and Miss Marple where people seem to bump into each other at a train station and end up staying with the family for weeks on end
          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I think many people just put 'visitor' for someone they couldn't immediately find a family relationship for. In some cases in my family this has included in-laws!

On the other hand I would expect a 'boarder' to be paying for the room they stayed in. But ........ I have seen some suspiciously related looking boarders too!

If you look at the headings on the columns they were supposed to fill in I don't think its very surprising if some (even most!!) people didn't understand the questions! :p

Anne

Comment

Lots of the people I've found shown as "boarders" on other censuses have turned out to be relatives.

Comment

Boarders pay for board and lodging (ie food as well as a bed) whereas lodgers find their own meals.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

G.G.Grandpa list a daughter and her son as lodgers......

Comment

I found a distant rellie in 1891 as a lodger. I didn't recognise the two people she was lodging with, but found out later that the woman was her grandmother, who had remarried and thus had an unfamiliar surname.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I discovered on the 1911 census that three great aunts were running a boarding house in Lambeth. It appears to be two adjoining houses and is "full of foreigners". Swiss stock brokers, swedish bankers, an elderly Belguim widow and her grown up son (who is a banker), a stock brokers clerk from Wales and a german waiter and dutch parlour maid - a united nations of a house!
                      Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
                        I just wondered what the difference was between the two.

I've hunted on the site and can't find anything.

I assume a boarder is someone who pays rent But what exactly was a visitor?

Thanks
                        Someone who was at the house on census night and that it wasn't their normal abode.

i.e. lodger - lived there for a fair amount of time and paid rent

Visitor - friend or family member - staying for the night or a few days - sometimes relationship was stated sometimes not and the term visitor was used.

Comment

One of my antecedents is listed as a boarder, aged 1, so I presume someone else was paying the lodging costs. Any ideas as to how I can find out who this was?

Comment

Working...
                          X