1890 US census --- anywhere online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1890 US census --- anywhere online?

Having just upgraded to Ancestry world wide through the Australian site (thanks Glen);), I have been checking info on ancestors known to have emmigrated.
    I have found them on the 1880 census, they left England in 1874. I can't find the 1890 census, isn't it online like the others?

By 1900, the husband has a new wife.

There is a Family Search Ancestral file on this family and that says my ancestor died in May 1890.

I'm trying to check this out.

The family name is Bowcut, Peter and Eliza and they are in Idaho. Eliza was born 1852/3 and Peter about the same age.

Is there anywhere that the 1890 is online, or am I just expecting too much?

Hi Margaret, the 1890 census was destroyed by fire in 1921, about 1% of it survived. No idea what parts. This artical might tell you more.

Prologue: Selected Articles
    Fiona. xx

Comment

This might help. Says it's a reconstructed census, whatever that is.

1890 Idaho Census
      Fiona. xx

Comment

Hi Fiona

Thanks for that.

On the reconstructed census, Peter is there but not Eliza so she must have died before the census was taken.

Any idea when the US census were taken? I haven't seen it anywhere, but I am very new to USA research.

Comment

Hi Margaret,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, off out with the girls. Was Eliza's name Birch?

Think you might find this site very useful, just enter Bowcut into the surname and a few will come up. Looks like Eliza died 24th May 1890 and Peter 8th Jan 1918. Has their parents names as well so if you go through you should come across some of their children, I did find an Elias John Bowcut who had parents Peter Bowcut and Eliza Birch.

Happy hunting!

Special Collections- Manuscripts
          Last edited by fiona c; 18-01-09, 05:59.
          Fiona. xx

Comment

This might prove useful also, found Peter's marriage to Sarah Wilson on here in 1891.

Western States Marriages Search Form
            Fiona. xx

Comment

Wow

Thank you Fiona

I was beginning to think that the Ancestral file on family search was the only thing online and I didn't want to take that on its own.

Eliza'a name was Birch, she was my great grandmothers sister.

Thanks again.

Comment

Fiona

I have a question about those two sites, you may know the answer.

Is the info submitted like on family search? Or, is it backed up by other sources.

The page for Peter Bowcut's death in 1918 gives the place of marriage to Eliza as Westbromwick, Staffordshire, England. I have the marriage cert, it was actually Rotherham in Yorkshire.

Exactly the wrong place and spelling as on family search ancestral file.

Do you know what sexton, Blk 45, lot 5 is? That is the other source given.

Comment

Working...
                X