Australian Convict Look-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Convict Look-up

I'm hoping one of you kind people who have just signed up for Ancestry Oz would be willing to do a look-up for me.

Some years ago I found my gx4 gf had been transported for life to NSW. Through visits to HALS (newspaper articles), Kew (trial details) & dealings with the Australian SOG I have obtained his TOL & Conditional Pardon. However I have been unable to find his death in the NSW Index.

Now I see he is on Ancestry's TOL & CP 1834-1859 Index not once but 3 times. Entries 2 & 3 show the province of NSW, as expected but the 1st shows Tasmania.

What I'm asking is "Does the 1st entry show any different information?"

His name is Joshua HAILEY from Hertfordshire arriving NSW in 1833 aboard Mary.

Thank you

Glen Hickson.
    Glen

Try this website. I found mine on here giving all details and bought details of his freedom ticket. No need for Ancestry when they have been online for years free!

convictcentral.com

Janet

Comment

Thanks for your reply Janet but I already have his TOL & CP. It's his death I'm looking for & I'm hoping this mention of Tasmania might mean he ended up there after his pardon. I have Ancestry Uk & I don't want to spend out on something which might only be a repeat of information I already have. Thanks
      Glen

Comment

Pretty please - it will only take a minute - 2 if you are not already logged on to Ancestry.

Thanks
        Glen

Comment

OK, I'll have a look in a sec.

Comment

Thanks very much Mary - much appreciated.
            Glen

Comment

I seem to have a problem Glen. I found the searches but it won't let me view the image and now it won't let me log off the site either
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

According to Australian Convict Transportation Registers – Other Fleets & Ships, 1791-1868 and New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia, Settler and Convict Lists, 1787-1834, as you probably know he was convicted for life in Herts on 29/2/1832, transported on 21/8/32 and arrived in NSW on 6/1/33, on the Mary.

The 3 entries you found in the New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia, Convict Pardons and Tickets of Leave, 1834-1859 are as follows:

1. Arrived 1833, Mary, province: Tasmania, pardons 1841-42.
                2. Arrived 1833, Mary, province: NSW, pardons 1850-59
                3. Arrived 1833, Mary, province: NSW, pardons, 1846-49.

It seems odd that if the Mary arrived in NSW he'd be sent to Tasmania, and I can't think why he's listed under pardons in 3 different date ranges and 2 different States.

Unfortunately I can't view the images to see if there's any extra information, because I've been having trouble with ancestry.au images for a while.

I'll check Tasmania to see if there's any sign of him there.
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-01-09, 16:29.

Comment

According to New South Wales, Australia Convict Ship Muster Rolls and Related Records, 1790-1849 the vessel he was transported on was the Mary III.

You can find the voyage dates here:

Welcome - Family Tree Forum

listed under Mary III (4).

The only disembarkations mentioned were in Sydney - none in Hobart.
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-01-09, 16:22.

Comment

Can't see him on the Tasmanian archives site:

Archives Search Portal

Comment

Thanks very much Chrissie & Mary. Yes I have all his transportation details - even read the surgeon's log although he's not in it. I don't have the copies to hand at the moment but Joshua received his TOL in 1841 (8yrs) which was as soon as a 'lifer' could & his CP in 1849, again as soon as was able. He started off in Campbell Town & moved on to Yass District - he was there for the General Musters of 1837. I was hoping the Tasmania entry might show something different - a trip post 1849 to Tasmania where I'll find his death cert. Ah well - live in hope. Thanks again for your efforts.
                      Glen

Comment

The SAG online database only shows one ticket of leave for him, which is presumably the one you have:

Society of Australian Genealogists - Hailey

The number's 41/545 so I assume the year was 1841 (which corresponds to the date range of the Tas pardon shown on the Ancestry list, not to either of the NSW ones).
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-01-09, 16:54.

Comment

I see there's a deceased estate file in NSW for a J Hailey in 1902. This corresponds to a John Hailey who died in Goulburn, no parents listed. I wonder if your man could have changed his name?

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts Mary. Joshua was born in 1792 so was 40 when transported. I did send for a John HALEY death cert. which fitted his age & was the only one in Yass District but unfortunately he'd died by drowning in a river & there were no other details on the cert. He is my only direct ancestor that I don't have all the certs. for.
                            Glen

Comment

That's a pity - that death in Yass could well be him, then.

Have you tried newspapers to see if there's a report of the death?

NLA Australian Newspapers beta

Comment

Yes I've looked at that site but it only details his arrival on the 'Mary' & I thought his CP but I couldn't find that this time. Perhaps I should look under John!
                                Glen

Comment

This link shows a convict named John Haley who helped to save a man from drowning

NLA Australian Newspapers beta - article display
                                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

There's also a report of a Joshua Haley "of Bradford" who died in Qld in 1866. Can't find him in the Qld deaths index, and as far as I know there isn't a place called Bradford in Qld. He seems to have been a rich man.

Comment

Chrissie:- the Coromandel arrived in Tasmania in 1838 & Joshua definitely was in NSW until his CP in 1849. I don't know where that John was from but he wasn't a Hitchin HAILEY.

Mary:- Rich -that eliminates him immediately. Mine were mostly ag. labs & came from Hitchin in Herts. One of Joshua's sons was transported to WA in 1863. However one of his sisters ended up as a Manufacturing Chemist with works in Limehouse & an 8 page will and his nephew had the occupation of 'Gentleman' in the 1851 census. The only one in the family.

Thanks for your continuing efforts.
                                      Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post

Mary:- Rich -that eliminates him immediately.
                                        Depends what his crime was, I suppose

Comment

Working...
                                        X